GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy some double sided tape. I tried to apply some mirror accents, but I think it was too cold (17 degrees). Any way, they didn't stick like they should have. As everyone knows, once you take the chrome piece off, it won't stick again. If not the sticky stuff, has anyone got any other suggetions on how to apply these things? Silicone, glue, etc. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I got mine at a Car Quest dealer. Also WallyWorld. There are different kinds. The one from Car Quest is a lot like what is on the backs of most of the stick on chrome. I cannot tell you what brand it was cause I have used it all up. I think it was 3M.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well I tried a cheaper double sided tape that didnt work too well. It was not the thicker foam type tape. I went to my local hardware store and they had some double sided tape that is used to put car emblems on. It worked just like it was suppose too. But you may need to warm up the surface some, so this may give you a reason to bring the wing inside and park it in front of the fireplace. But also make sure that you peel off all of the old tape and such and it may not work as well when you go to use the newer stuff.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Radio Shack carries an "Industrial Strength" DST that holds really well. Any auto parts chain like Pep Boys or Autozone will have the DST they use for auto trim. It's good too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
>apply some mirror accent>

It's interesting that you're putting the accents ON - I just finished taking some OFF .. didn't like the way they looked. But then, we each have our own taste.

But - the best thing I've found that holds well is the automotive trim adhesive. The brand I have is Rogers, but there's a number of good brands at the auto parts houses. I've never had much luck with the double-sided tape though.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I've had really good luck with this tape, and it is available just about anywhere... from Wal-Mart to any hardware store.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W18C25567

It is waterproof, and grabs on and won't let go.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if your looking to put on something that is an irregular shape, you may want a gel type adheasive. there is an industrial supply warehouse called grainger. they are all over the country, they have 3m products like no one else. just about every product application is covered.

loren

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A BIG thanks to all of you. I knew I would get a lot of good ideas. The best one was, (so this may give you a reason to bring the wing inside and park it in front of the fireplace). I liked that one. If only there was room. :wink:
Here's the mirror accents I have. I don't like the ones with the "fingers".

·
Registered
287 Posts
Those are the proper ones wingnut, the ones with the fingers are crap. :no: Why did'nt you wait untill you got the clear lenses from Jan in Sweden. :yes: They should be ready in a few weeks. :excited:

:capwin: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
258 Posts
3M is an awesome double sided tape and is very thin. Most OE manufactures us it.

Here is a tip for re-install. If you need to remove something with double sided foam tape and the tape is still intact, you can wipe the tape down with some alcohol and a lint free rag or paper towel. Sometimes it sticks even better.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
2 sided tape

There are more than a few, but 3M makes several. Most are for holding molding to the sides of cars, some are foam centered for cushions, etc. The important thing is the prep. Make sure everything is CLEAN and no wax, oil, etc before you stick it on. Prep is 90% of the success.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you don't want it to ever come off again, you can use servo tape from a hobby shop. I used some left over from a R.C. airplane project, I'm willing to bet that particular piece will never come off. LOL :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts