GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Sturgis is only 300 miles from my place I took a day and zoomed over there yesterday. Granted, it was the day before the official rally begins but it seemed to me that there weren't that many bikes around. I talked to a couple of vendors and they expected a down year. One guy said he hoped business was only down 25%. "It could weed out a few vendors", he said.

I live along one of the major routes to Sturgis and there just aren't many bikes on the road right now which is very unusual.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
And for the first year since it was born The Burning Man event is SOLD OUT!

Go Figure

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

·
Registered
334 Posts
And for the first year since it was born The Burning Man event is SOLD OUT!

Go Figure

Matt(BCNV):doorag:
burningman is THE most amazing event on the entire planet. nothing on earth compares to it PERIOD. i have seen and experienced magical things there. cant wait to get back someday.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
You have the same pic as one of the guys on a goalie bulletin board I belong to..

I have two aplacas, and a llama

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Sturgis less participation is just like Daytona Bike week. Vendors disappearing as crowds thin.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Sturgis less participation is just like Daytona Bike week. Vendors disappearing as crowds thin.
Just why do you think the crowds are thinning out? Could it be because the vendors are not giving "deals" at the various rallies? Is it because some associations charge a fee to get into the vendor areas. Or is it because some rallies charge the vendors a huge fee just for setting up at the rally...
Everyone has their hand out for a cut of the money that some folks just don't have anymore.
:shrug:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think alot has to do with the gas prices, it was the same way the last time I was in Sturgis in 08 when gas was over $4.00 per gal the first time.
I went to Sturgis the first time in 06 and there were more bikes & a lot more RV's there then.
Had a good time both times though.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Well, we left Sturgis this morning. In Nebraska at the Motel right now. This year was the smallest crowd's I've ever seen. By leap's and bound's! If I had to guess, I'd say it's half the crowd of last year. And last year wasn't a good year either. The Wing sure was fun in the Black Hills tho. Perfect for most of the riding in the area. And there was a bunch of them there too! All in all, still a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Don't Blame Me, I Voted For The American!!!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
All that kind of thing is pricing themselves out of business.
Fuel cost does not help either.

I used to to the local gun shows on Sunday afternoon, last time they wanted 20 bucks as a entry fee.

I went back to the bike and took a ride around the lake.

Nuff is nuff. Five bucks, ok, 20 .......see ya.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Since Sturgis is only 300 miles from my place I took a day and zoomed over there yesterday. Granted, it was the day before the official rally begins but it seemed to me that there weren't that many bikes around. I talked to a couple of vendors and they expected a down year. One guy said he hoped business was only down 25%. "It could weed out a few vendors", he said.

I live along one of the major routes to Sturgis and there just aren't many bikes on the road right now which is very unusual.
Sturgis, S.D. has filed a suit against The KY. Sturgis and Sturgis, MS. for useing the Sturgis Bike Ralley heading. As for me, I'd like to see Sturgis, S.D. bite the dust for a while.......:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts