GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I ask a question about a particular gps and the Garmin 2720 was highly recommended. From what I've read about it, you can't download routes or weigh points from your computer to it.

What gps do you recommend that you can download these things from your computer to? The 2720 is high on my list even with this snag.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I don't know why you're having trouble downloading routes to the 2720 - it comes w/Mapsource specifically for that reason...

Create the route, connect your GPS, turn it on and do a 'Transfer -> Send to Device -> Select your GPS, choose 'Routes & Waypoints' and then press 'Send'

·
Registered
202 Posts
Jim, I have a 2720 and it is very easy to download routes/waypoints to the GPS from a computer. In fact, I rode around the U.S. this summer (4 corners) and also went in to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I had the route all planned before leaving home and loaded it in the GPS before leaving. When I wanted to make changes, I had my laptop with me on the trip and would alter the route as needed the night before or would just change it on the GPS directly. The route planning software is Mapsource and it came with the GPS. It is very easy to manipulate routes.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon, Doberman, thanks a million. That's what I needed to know. Everything I could find to read about the 2720 never mentioned this so I was afraid it wasn't possible with this unit. Now that I know, I can order the 2720 without any reservations.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
Jon, Doberman, thanks a million. That's what I needed to know. Everything I could find to read about the 2720 never mentioned this so I was afraid it wasn't possible with this unit. Now that I know, I can order the 2720 without any reservations.

376C does this as well. But you might want to wait until we start getting reports on the Zumo, as it is really set up the best for motorcycling.

Steve

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UberXY said:
Jim Mathis said:

376C does this as well. But you might want to wait until we start getting reports on the Zumo, as it is really set up the best for motorcycling.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll go do some reading up on the Zumo and see how it looks.

BTW, Walmart has the 2720 on sale, online only for $594. I think this price is good till 11/30 according to the flier I got in the mail yesterday.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Take a look at the 2820 Garmin

I don't know everything the 2720 will do but, the 2820 does it all. Bluetooth, MP3, AudioBooks, and about everything else you could want.

These guys have it for 639.00 including shipping. I ordered one from them earlier this week and UPS say's it will be here Monday.

http://www.tvsdepot.com/product_81336_Garmin.html

I Love the StreetPilot III I have now so I'm realy looking forward to my 2820 and using my phone and playing MP3's through it.

Ti02

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Does the 2820 allow you to upload Mapsource routes from your PC to the GPS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts