GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Black Hills

I always enjoy riding around the Black Hills area except during Bike Week -- just too many people and too many bikes to really be able to enjoy it. Bike Week is a whole other experience. For the second year the High Country Cruisers scheduled a 4-day trip to the Black Hills. As last year, this was a great trip, but we had several different folks this year, which made it an entirely different trip. We stayed two nights in Hill City at a little Ma/Pa motel that worked out really great. Good place for hanging out, reasonably priced, and clean rooms. Some great riding, including Custer State Park, Wildlife Loop, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Mt. Rushmore, and some good eating spots -- all of these rides are just superb, with great roads, lots of scenery, and lots of wildlife. On the third day we took scenic rides on additional great roads -- Nemo Road, Vonacker Canyon, Deadwood (I lucked out and won $400 in 10 minutes at the Blackjack table), and Spearfish Canyon. We then rode up to Belle Fourche to head over to Devils Tower -- normally a great ride but this year they had about 10 miles of the road totally torn out, and luck being the way it is, it started raining on us. Lucky no one went down in the muck. After Devils Tower we rode over to Sundance, WY to spend the night before heading home on the 4th day. Just a great trip. Next year I think we will include a loop out through the Badlands of South Dakota. For several pics from the trip go to Dave's Cycle Trips 03.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts