GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this past weekend a couple of buddies and I took a trip out to Tennessee to ride US 129 (The Dragon) and the countless other awesome roads out there. We logged about 1700 miles in 4 days. It was the first time I ever to my Wing on a road like that. So the first pass I was cautious as I went up the mountain. As I came back down the mountain I decided to push a little harder. The Wing took the 318 curves with ease. The next day we decided to go back to the Deal's Gap Resort, which meant... you guessed it The Dragon stood in our way again. As I went to the top I managed to get in a rhythm craving through the corners scraping pegs and occasionally the frame. By the time I got to the top I felt truly felt like I slayed The Dragon. I bought a few souvenirs at the resort. Only this time on the way back down I decided it was time to enjoy a nice leisurely pace back down the mountain. Only the Wing didn't agree... I got about half way down and found myself back in that same rhythm as on the way up and before I knew it I felt and heard the scraping of the pegs. I could go on and on about not just The Dragon but all the roads in that area. It was just an amazing weekend. If you haven't experienced US 129 (The Dragon) yet I highly recommend the ride, for those of you that have slayed The Dragon you know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't wait to do it again.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Not to diss the dragon but tons of roads out there that that make dragon look bad ;) however miles = smiles on wing. Heck of a machine !!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Not to diss the dragon but tons of roads out there that that make dragon look bad ;) however miles = smiles on wing. Heck of a machine !!

you live in florida you should not diss any twisty road,lol

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Just this past weekend a couple of buddies and I took a trip out to Tennessee to ride US 129 (The Dragon) and the countless other awesome roads out there. We logged about 1700 miles in 4 days. It was the first time I ever to my Wing on a road like that. So the first pass I was cautious as I went up the mountain. As I came back down the mountain I decided to push a little harder. The Wing took the 318 curves with ease. The next day we decided to go back to the Deal's Gap Resort, which meant... you guessed it The Dragon stood in our way again. As I went to the top I managed to get in a rhythm craving through the corners scraping pegs and occasionally the frame. By the time I got to the top I felt truly felt like I slayed The Dragon. I bought a few souvenirs at the resort. Only this time on the way back down I decided it was time to enjoy a nice leisurely pace back down the mountain. Only the Wing didn't agree... I got about half way down and found myself back in that same rhythm as on the way up and before I knew it I felt and heard the scraping of the pegs. I could go on and on about not just The Dragon but all the roads in that area. It was just an amazing weekend. If you haven't experienced US 129 (The Dragon) yet I highly recommend the ride, for those of you that have slayed The Dragon you know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't wait to do it again.
That's called draggin the dragon!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Dragon

I've ridden the Dragon 6 times and enjoyed each time as much as you did. I'm sure you will remember your ride for a long time. I ridden a lot of different, great motor cycle roads all over this beautiful country and love them all. Any road on my wing is a great ride. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I know the feeling. There's a few roads here in Ohio that I love riding. My favorite is probably route 555. Well worth the ride to get there. Even better when you take the long day and take mostly backroads getting there and back.

·
Registered
812 Posts
When riding in the area of SE N.C., NW Tn. and NE Ga. lay a map on the table, close your eyes and put a finger on the map. Wherever that finger rests there will be a great road to ride. I've ridden many roads there, in Arkansas and much of the Rockies and always go back to NC a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very good point!! I prefer almost anyother road as a matter of fact!!.....

you live in florida you should not diss any twisty road,lol
Hmmm........ Good point....... But they have Causeways and lane changes.........

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
:roll::roll:we have some of the best exit ramps in the country !!:lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the way the road has banking on the dragon as compared to other roads in the area. They are all great I have been there 7 years in a row. Heading to eureka springs ark. may 15 for 4 days great roads pig trail, route 7 and more, My wife asked me one day if we was lost and I said as long as we had road in front of us and gas were in good shape. She said xxxxxxx! and I just smiled.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I know the feeling. There's a few roads here in Ohio that I love riding. My favorite is probably route 555. Well worth the ride to get there. Even better when you take the long day and take mostly backroads getting there and back.
Now... you know you are supposed to keep that under your hat! :cry:

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Ha! I wish. It's pretty well known from what I found on the interwebby thing. There's a few others I like to ride too. But, I'll shoooosh. :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Ha! I wish. It's pretty well known from what I found on the interwebby thing. There's a few others I like to ride too. But, I'll shoooosh. :)
Did you make good parole? Haven't seen you post in ages.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Not sure how that's not "dissing" the dragon but I do understand your point that that Dragon is just one of many great roads in that area.

Having said that, while I totally agree that there are TONS of great roads and the Dragon is just one of them, I haven't found any that make the Dragon look bad.

(BTW...the Dragon is not my favorite out there either...it's in the top 3 for me in that area assuming I can ride it early or when there isn't traffic on it but there are a couple more I think I like better and they don't have the traffic)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Nice slip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts