GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will go to these place in the middle of August. We visited the BRP and the skyline 2 years ago and its a great place to ride.

I wonder if Robbinsville can be a good place that we can use for base , what I mean is , can we leave there in the morning to visit cherohala, the day after the dragon and the third day the moosnshiner and being able to come back to robinsville to sleep there every night ?

Recommendation for a good hotel with reasonable price ? Do you think that I 'll need reservation at this time of the year ??

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hopefully some of the SMRI attendees will post on recommendations. Bryson City is a neat little town right in the middle of it all with several hotels and restrauants. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
To be honest with you, there are literaly hundreds of places to stay. We never have made reservations and never had any trouble. We always go in the summer. If you are intent on making reservations, try this:

http://tailofthedragon.com/planyourtrip.html

If you get fifty responses you will get fifty favorite places, and most of them ok. Best bet is search the internet (that is what we do) and you will do well. For us, it is kind of restristive to reserve, say 5 nights somewhere then find out we go somewhere and are pressed to get back. Large area and lots of places to go.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
We will go to these place in the middle of August. We visited the BRP and the skyline 2 years ago and its a great place to ride.

I wonder if Robbinsville can be a good place that we can use for base , what I mean is , can we leave there in the morning to visit cherohala, the day after the dragon and the third day the moosnshiner and being able to come back to robinsville to sleep there every night ?

Recommendation for a good hotel with reasonable price ? Do you think that I 'll need reservation at this time of the year ??

Robbinsville is fine but more small clean motels in Bryson City. If you run South on 28 check out lunch in Dillard. Big table with stranges pigging out like they were at a family reunion. Homestyle vegetables that keep coming out in 'pass around and dip as much as you want bowls'. Food stops coming when you lean back and sigh!! Dragon would take up about 3 hrs. of a day ridden both ways. Dragon must be run on a weekday or sport bikes will push you and pass you in the curves. Slow cars will be there on the weekend also. Never ride on a weekend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Twi

From Robbinsville or Bryson City you can ride those roads in one day. We've stayed at the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville and it is not bad. What I liked was each room has its own small garage for the bike.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Place to stay

We go up to this area 4 to 6 times a year. The most centrally located place to stay is the Two Wheel Inn: http://www.twowheelinn.com/. They are in Robbinsville, NC. There is a garage right next door to your room for your motorcycle. This is great as it can rain up there frequently. The crew that runs the place is fantastic.
Next, consider staying in the Bestwestern in Blairsville, GA: http://www.bestwesterngeorgia.com/hotels/best-western-milton-inn/. This will allow you to also be close to the Such’s Loops, Helen and Lake Burton as well as the Dragon, Cherochola Skyway and the Old Moonshine 28. This is a little more comfortable with some very good eating establishments within walking distance to the hotel: Antonietta’s Grill/ Bones/ etc. Wish I was up there now. Best

DOC:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
We usually stay in Maggie Valley, Jonathan Creek Inn. Couple of great breakfast places their to get you started for the days ride.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I like the cabins at the Tellico Plains, TN KOA. Cheap but clean and right at the start of the Cherohala.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A Deal's Gap yearly get-together group from my Kawasaki Forum, "base" at the Phillip's Motel in Robbinsville.
They do a Helen, Ga. ride one day, Cherohola Skyway/Dragon another day, then BRP.
Wife and I hope to leave north Alabama next week with stops on the Cherohola Skyway to see the waterfalls on the Tellico Plains end then head towards the BRP.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I like the cabins at the Tellico Plains, TN KOA. Cheap but clean and right at the start of the Cherohala.
+1
.. worth more than they get just because it's close to "the bakery"
.. wow ..

any direction you go from there, nothing but great roads..
... and coming into Helen, GA from the North is awesome.

Dennis

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been up there for the last 3 years. The first year, we stayed at the 2 wheel inn, and it was great. The garage near the rooms was a big plus. The last 2 years, we stayed at the Elk Springs Resort cabins in Gatlinburg, Tn. You could not ask for a better place, but you will need to make reservations. The roads back to the cabins off hwy 321 offer some pretty spirted riding to warm you up for the dragon. This year we tried the Devils Triange. This road will make the dragon look like the Gecho lizard. Definately not for the week at heart, and a road that I have no desire to try again. We will definately be back next spring, if we can hold off that long. Might possibly make it back up there in the fall.

·
Registered
863 Posts
google the nantahala outdoor center...they have cabins, rooms, and bunk houses. located in the middle of the roads you want to ride. plus ...you forgot fanother road--WAYA ROAD. ride 28 (moonshiner) down to Highlands and see all the waterfalls. then ride back across Waya Road and back down the nantahal gorge. even with a long lunch, this ride is 6 hours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I must confess that I'm always nervous about knowing there is a bed at the end of a 400 mile day...and I don't want to be searching for it at 10pm. So I plan ahead with Choice hotels (877-424-6423. http://www.choicehotels.com). Great web site, reasonable rates, clean rooms, etc but BEST of all their cancellation policy is very forgiving...in some cases up to 6pm the night you are suppose to be there. In other words if you are delayed (rain, mechanical, over ambitious planning) and can't make the destination...call ahead and cancel. Under those circumstances "Choice" has even helped me find something closer. BTW, we do the smoky loop twice a year, it never gets old, every detour throws you to a equally cool road but I still have waffle stamped imprints on my a$$ from one 390 mile day (100% on the curves).
Also strongly recommend checking out this link http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=73
The trip is great for the rider but the passenger might need added visual stimulation. This book gives enough mile marker info so you don't rip past a stop off site, all self absorbed in the next slice section of asphalt. Another web site that looked interesting (but I do not have first hand experience) is www.americaridesmaps.com
Have fun & be safe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in that in Blairsville if it was me I'd think about staying in Murphy NC lots of area to ride. Better selection of places to go far as stores and places to eat. There probably at least a half dozen lops that you can make out of there.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts

In the last six years a friend and I have done the Smokeys three times. We always spend 2-3 nights at the Two-Wheel Inn in Robbinsville and run "loops" on the exact roads your are talking about. It works great from Robbinsville. The only negative is very limited dining options in Robbinsville, but we don't go for the food. We go for the riding.

Not sure if you are familiar with the Two-Wheel Inn. Barry & Linda a very nice folks, the rooms are immaculate, the price is right (I think $65) and GARAGES for your motorcycle. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We were in that area last year for SMRI. Stayed at micro tell in Bryson city.
Nice but not spectacular. Central location for all the nice roads.
What I like about staying in one location is you can unload the bike and get rid of all that extra weight. Helps when "flicking" the big girl through the twisties. Though I don't think you can really "Flick" a gold wing. The sport bike guys are chuckleing right now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts