GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girls. Some wingers meeting up and headed to east TN and west NC. Plans to ride some of the beautiful roads up there; Tail of the Dragon (ergo the ride name), BRP and others. So far we have some coming from Colorado, Texas, Alabama and points unknown.

Have the Pigeon Forge Inn and Suites for $45 per night. Will post phone number shortly for reservations.

Plans are to leave DFW on the October 19th and ride throught the 22nd.

All are welcome. Ride goals of fellowship and seeing the changing colors.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds inviting. I was up at Deals gap the 4th of July. One of the best rides I ever been on. I left Dallas on a Thursday at 6:am and made it to Lebanon around 7:30 that evening. Drove Deals Gap Friday and part of Saturday. Headed back Sat. afternoon and spent the night in Memphis. Back in Dallas Sunday evening.
It was a little over 700 miles from Flower Mound to Lebanon. Just curious, were you planning to do a ride straight to Pigeon Ford? That would be another 200 or so miles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ummm --- 4th July was on Monday if I remember.

I was there too.
Weekend of 4th July
Had to be back to work Tue. In San Antonio. I missed out on seeing the falls south of Robbinson. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Is this posse gonna be carrying? Don't ask me why I'm interested... :roll:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just got home from there on Sunday after a week of good riding in the area. Oct would be a good time to go as last week it was hotter that hades there also.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds inviting. I was up at Deals gap the 4th of July. One of the best rides I ever been on. I left Dallas on a Thursday at 6:am and made it to Lebanon around 7:30 that evening. Drove Deals Gap Friday and part of Saturday. Headed back Sat. afternoon and spent the night in Memphis. Back in Dallas Sunday evening.
It was a little over 700 miles from Flower Mound to Lebanon. Just curious, were you planning to do a ride straight to Pigeon Ford? That would be another 200 or so miles.
Will probably break into a day and half there and back to keep ladies happier. Not a rush ride. Come on along for the pretty colors. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought your title was about Kuryakan's wind deflectors which are Dragon Wings.
You and your lady are sure welcome and would love to have you.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
We'll have to see how that is going to play out.

I do appreciate the invite thou.

If you're around Houston Aug20th, I will be performing a riding demonstration and consultation.

All riders welcome... do not have to be GWRRA member

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hotel Rooms

Got a pretty good deal on rooms. Double Queen at $44.

Pigeon Forge Inn & Suites
2826 Parkway
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863 865-453-9151/866-708-8610
www.pigeonforgeinnandsuites.com
Let them know you are with the Goldwingers. They will be ready for reservations on Thursday and after.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What nights are planning on staying at the Inn and are your plans to be back in Dallas on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Current plans are leaving DFW on the 19th and arriving in Pigeon Forge on the 20th; riding the Dragon, BRP and some secret roads (each rider's choice) the next few days and leaving on Sunday, arriving in DFW on Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Jim... I will make some reservations tonight.
Mel
Julie and I are looking forward to seeing you and your lovely bride again.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hope to see you there....:thumbup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't miss .......

If your coming from Texas some of the local stuff not to miss is the 441 over the smokies to Cherokee. Its a beauty with great scenic overlooks and really good road. Lots of cars but still worth it. The lower road to townsend and the parkway to the dragon are great as well ( skip Cades Cove its for cagers only way too slow). The dragon is just getting to be plain dangerous as lots of less experienced riders are trying too hard. Its a very technical road with every kind of turn imaginable. 1st gear turns with lots of throttle that if you don't accelerate the bike will fall over. Its not really hard just be carefull, stay on your side of the yellow line and expect someone or a truck to be around every corner some of which may be on your side of the road. The devil's triangle north of Oakridge is better than the dragon without the hype. The cherhola is great and can be done after the dragon. The BRP is great but after a day of the same corners it can get tedious.
Your going to love the trip and lastly this tip has worked for me, take off before your buddies are ready so you can ride your own ride without following someone elses taillights or they following yours. When your watching somone elses lights your not as focused on the road and they may be making mistakes that your going to follow.
Have a great trip

1 - 20 of 32 Posts