GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went ahead and changed out the oil in the FD. When I was cleaning up the drain and fill plugs, I noticed the drain plug is partially hollow, and had a sticky, black substance filling the hollow portion the the plug.

I was wondering if that was perhaps where Honda places the Moly during assembly? If anyone knows please share. If so, I may put a little of the Honda Moly inside that crevice when I do the oil changes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yesterday I went ahead and changed out the oil in the FD. When I was cleaning up the drain and fill plugs, I noticed the drain plug is partially hollow, and had a sticky, black substance filling the hollow portion the the plug.

I was wondering if that was perhaps where Honda places the Moly during assembly? If anyone knows please share. If so, I may put a little of the Honda Moly inside that crevice when I do the oil changes.

Thanks.
The final drive drain plug has a magnet in it... not molly paste... clean thoroughly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm ok Larry, thanks. The crap that was plugging the bolt was a pasty substance. Seemed to thick and sticky to be just metal shavings. Oh well, thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Hmmmm ok Larry, thanks. The crap that was plugging the bolt was a pasty substance. Seemed to thick and sticky to be just metal shavings. Oh well, thought I'd ask.
np, just clean it off a bit, find a small nail or pin and check it.... should be in there.... since the final drive drain bolt is the same as the engine drain bolt, I bought one for the engine. Probably a waste.. I have never seen any metal hair, bits or chunks on it at all, ever...

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
What you are seeing is the result of normal wear and what you think it is, is correct. It is all normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts