GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the dealer do my previous oil and filter changes on my 2019. I have done my own on previous bikes for years. I decided to do my own this time. When I removed the second front drain plug it did not have a crush washer and I found what appears to be pipe thread tape. I also found this thread tape on the back drain plug. The plug threads look fine. Any thoughts about this?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I have had the dealer do my previous oil and filter changes on my 2019. I have done my own on previous bikes for years. I decided to do my own this time. When I removed the second front drain plug it did not have a crush washer and I found what appears to be pipe thread tape. I also found this thread tape on the back drain plug. The plug threads look fine. Any thoughts about this?
I have a thought.......................your dealer is a schmuck. A dealer doing this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, what is the name of that dealer ?? Yes, we want to know. It may help us in the future. The LEAST the dealer could have done is tell you about YOUR bike. Geez ........................

# 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what does this mean and what do I need to do? The threads appear to be okay.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Clean the threads, install 3 new washers and torque the drain plugs to 30 nm. Run the engine and check for leaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan. So tell me, why would they put the thread tape on bolts? I am assuming the worst.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That’s a question only the dealership can answer. Thread sealant is usually used on pipe threads, not necessary on these straight threads because the washer alone does the sealing. It’s not detrimental, unless they were trying to conceal another problem such as stripped threads or crack in the case.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
589 Posts
I'm guessing...
1. They dropped your old crush washers in the oil container.
2. They didn't have new ones in stock.
3. They have no understanding what thread tape is for.
4. They are complete morons who don't want any of your service work or money any more.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Did they use an impact wrench to install them and strip the threads?
Sloppy work nonetheless…….missing washers is crap service.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So what does this mean and what do I need to do? The threads appear to be okay.
Get the correct drain washers and install them. NEVER take the bike to that dealer again. That's total B/S, and if it were mine and I find out that threads are damaged, there'd be hell to pay. Reading posts like this over the years in many different forums is why I always to my own basic maintenance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That washer has been ruined by over tightening the drain bolt, perhaps numerous times. Just replace them and torque the bolts to spec, likely nothing to worry about.

·
Chard Member
13,263 Posts
Sounds like a plan. So tell me, why would they put the thread tape on bolts? I am assuming the worst.
No need to get excited! It’s SOP to add thread tape on some motorcycles from the factory.

It’s just a second line of defense to avoid leaks. They did nothing wrong by doing it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
No need to get excited! It’s SOP to add thread tape on some motorcycles from the factory.

It’s just a second line of defense to avoid leaks. They did nothing wrong by doing it!
This obviously could be true, but I've owned 22 motor vehicles of all kinds since 1982 (8 bikes, of which 2 were Hondas, and 14 cars including 7 Hondas) and not one of those came with thread tape on them from the factory.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Standard procedure? I've never seen that before (from the factory). Thread tape is for tapered threads.

The only thing I've noticed is that one of the drain plugs (I think the rear one) has a habit of the crush washer sticking to the crankcase. My dealer (at the first and only service by them) missed it and ended up with two washers on the one bolt damaging both washers.

That crush washer in the OP's photo looks 20 years old AND overtightened to the extreme.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and replaced both filters and stopped. I am going to the dealer with the bolts and photos to see what they have to say before I start cleaning up the threads and possibly discover damage. I hoping to be proactive so they do not try to blame me.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
344 Posts
If that washer is not the correct size, perhaps the bolt deformed it like that?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I suspect they're just guilty of re-using old washers and not knowing how to use a torque wrench. Hopefully no damage to your crankcase.

Check your last service invoice. Did they charge you for three sealing washers? If not, why not. If they did then they're also thieves.

Many of us re-use our old crush washers (let's not reignite that debate) but the dealer should always replace them every single time. They should have dozens of them in stock and they cost next to nothing.

Be interesting to see what they have to say but I'm guessing they'll deny doing it like that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
525 Posts
Maybe a new guy working in service? I've had to retrain a bunch of guys over the years who've claimed, "that's the way we always did it at the last place I worked." In this case, no harm. But we're all wondering what they're going to say about it.

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,014 Posts
Before I took my 2020 in for its first service (oil change) I asked the service manager the cost $300. To test her knowledge I asked for $300 was she going to change the DCT oil too! My dealer has never seen my bike since. If you can’t trust a dealer to touch your bike either find someone else or do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts