GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we are in lock-down and the bike has been sitting for a month now is there any reason I should not drain the petrol tank and run it until is stops?
Thinking it wont do any harm. Just checking.

·
Vendor
16,376 Posts
For proper storage information go to Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Not sure kiwi if you are only allowed to ride to work But at the moment we can only drive or ride to work here in Melbourne AUS So I am just going to ride to work come home and repeat cycle maybe 5 times which will give me about 50km boring as hell but its a legitimate reason Better done nothing i suppose (y)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly the job gone-burger...
We are in a lock-down situation here in lower down-under and likely to last for a time..
Essential travel only.
No exceptions.
I m concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things .
I have been through the exercise with a carburetor engine already, and it was a bitch.
Clogged and gummy to hell...

I'm aware the Book of Words says to fill the tank.
But I'm a little concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things.

My burning question is...

Will it do any harm to run the tank dry?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sadly the job gone-burger...
We are in a lock-down situation here in lower down-under and likely to last for a time..
Essential travel only.
No exceptions.
I m concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things .
I have been through the exercise with a carburetor engine already, and it was a bitch.
Clogged and gummy to hell...

I'm aware the Book of Words says to fill the tank.
But I'm a little concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things.

My burning question is...

Will it do any harm to run the tank dry?
Fuel pump is in the tank and is cooled by gasoline. So there's that concern.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mine sits every winter for about six months. Full tank of Regular fuel with stabilizer and/or StarTron additive. Smart charge the battery every month or so (I won't leave a "trickle charger" or anything on continually-its not needed). Park on center stand. Don't start it until I am ready to use it again. Always fires up and runs like normal.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Keep the tank full and the injectors wet. You don't want to run the injectors dry, that would be a sure way to get a stuck injector, and getting a prime on dry injectors can be a nightmare. If you fill the tank and add a stabilizer, run it to get the stabilizer into the nooks and cranny's, everything will stay lubed and protected plus the fuel won't sour on you. Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A top tier fuel (premium brand) is likely good for 4-5 months with little degradation. For added precaution use a fuel stabilizer and run for a few minutes. During storage do not start the engine. Here, Honda specifies 87 PON so for longer storage. I use E10 PON 89. The E10 absorbs moisture and the 89 keeps the octane level within spec for longer storage. My engines are in perfect condition (my GL1000 is 40 years old) and I store every year for 6 months

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I would add some fuel stabilizer but I have never had a need for it and dont have any at hand. Also its not available as everything is shut as we are in lock-down and every non essential shop and venue is shut. You cant order online unless it an essential item as it wont be dispatched until this is over.

Its about a 5k round trip to get fuel. I guess I could say its essential I fill the tanks if stopped.
-----------------------------
Post edited and deleted as I recieved a note from one on the Mods it was inappropriate for this thread.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Total lock down! WOW! How do you get essential supplies such as groceries and medications? If you can get out for those things, ride the bike. Riding the bike is how I socially distance myself here.

prs

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have to stay home, but allowed to drive for essentials. Thats 1 person per household. There and back and no diversions.

While I could not get the fuel stabilizer I did wheel my Triumph out and filled the tank with premium fuel on the way home from the market.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I tried a test of fuel stabilizers a while back comparing Stabil, Seafoam, mineral sprits ect added in correct ratio as instructed on the bottle, and regular untreated gas. I put 30ml in of each in carb bowls off an old Kawasaki KZ650. No difference, all 4 the gas all evaporated before any damage done or gum or the like. I wonder if new gas as bad as most believe it is, is actually less likely to go bad vs stuff we ran 40 years ago. My dad has an old snowblower and I believe it sat for nearly 5yrs and I expected the carb to be really messed up, but what happened is virtually all of the gas in the tank was evaporated and I disassembled the carb and it was brand new looking. Added new gas and back in use again. No need to do anything during this virus.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A long with the other recommendations that Greg, Fred and others I would cycle the switch 4 times or so to move the fuel through the rail and pump. I believe that was the cause of my pump to fail with just 53k. No need to start engine just turn the key to on you’ll hear the pump cycle and stop I would do that 4 times or so every week or so..

Joe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts