GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
A long with the other recommendations that Greg, Fred and others I would cycle the switch 4 times or so to move the fuel through the rail and pump. I believe that was the cause of my pump to fail with just 53k. No need to start engine just turn the key to on you’ll hear the pump cycle and stop I would do that 4 times or so every week or so..

Joe
Hmmmmmm here's another good idea! I always listen to what Fred and Gregg have to say (when they speak I always listen/learn ) thank you

Ronnie

·
Registered
172 Posts
Always store with full tank and Stabil or other gas treatment added.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sadly the job gone-burger...
We are in a lock-down situation here in lower down-under and likely to last for a time..
Essential travel only.
No exceptions.
I m concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things .
I have been through the exercise with a carburetor engine already, and it was a bitch.
Clogged and gummy to hell...

I'm aware the Book of Words says to fill the tank.
But I'm a little concerned about the fuel going off and clogging things.

My burning question is...

Will it do any harm to run the tank dry?
Yes, you have a fuel pump inside the tank that uses the fuel to cool it. Don't worry. Put some fuel stabilizer in it and run it then relax. I store my bikes for 5 months. Make sure to charge the battery too. Fuel injection isn't open to atmosphere like carburetors are. Gas won't flash off and gum up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Ethanol based fuel in a fuel injected engine will be fine for at least 4 months in a humid climate and double or triple that in a dry climate.

Non-ethanol gas will be fine for a year.

Bottom line...I wouldn't worry about it and would only drain it if I needed it for another engine but still wouldn't run it dry.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Ps...while I do agree that there is no need to drain and run it dry....I wouldn't worry about hurting it either. People run out of gas in vehicles all the time and it doesn't burn up the fuel pump.

Maybe if you did it consistently, but once or twice isn't going to hurt.....

But like I said....there is not a need to in this situation. Bike will be fine sitting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine sits every winter for about six months. Full tank of Regular fuel with stabilizer and/or StarTron additive. Smart charge the battery every month or so (I won't leave a "trickle charger" or anything on continually-its not needed). Park on center stand. Don't start it until I am ready to use it again. Always fires up and runs like normal.
As Fred mentioned, only use premium fuel/non ethanol when storing. Ethanol separates within a month or two, with the water in the ethanol ending up on the bottom of your tank. Its called phase separation, and very nasty to all engines and components. Stabilizer is still good to use :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for all replies.
Filled with premium fuel.
Parked with the battery maintainer connected.

Currently planning a route for when we are unleashed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I add Seafoam to a full tank of regular gas and try to ride the bike for a few miles every month. No battery chargers or other special tactics are needed. If your battery won't hold a charge for a month you probably need a new battery. This has worked flawlessly for many years on numerous motorcycles and small engines.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I ride mine. And I make sure I am more than 6 feet from any other vehicle. You can't be too safe. I also wash my hands when I get home.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As Fred mentioned, only use premium fuel/non ethanol when storing. Ethanol separates within a month or two, with the water in the ethanol ending up on the bottom of your tank. Its called phase separation, and very nasty to all engines and components. Stabilizer is still good to use :)
It would take a lot of moisture in the tank for phase separation, it is a very, very rare occurrence and it will not do this in a month or two. I have been storing my Goldwing 6 months per year since 1987 with fuel containing methanol/ethanol and will let you know if there is ever any phase separation. I prefer E10 since any moisture, unlike E0, will be absorbed.

G.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Phase separation won't happen unless there is a more moisture than normal in or available to the fuel. Additives such as StarTron (help) prevent those issues and since I always have to store either the boat, motorcycles, several snowmobiles, several types of lawn/power equipment each season for several months it's virtually never happened that the fuel has gone bad, especially in the motorcycles.
Fill the tank, park the vehicle/equipment (preferably inside shed/garage), add the appropriate amount of additive and charge the battery every month or so. Six months later they start right up like normal.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
+ 1 on ethanol free if you can find it.

And + 1 on adding fuel stabilizer. You should easily be able to wait out the shutdown if the fuel is treated properly.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts