GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that when I drain my coolant I am not getting all of it out. I have tried draining in with the bike on the side stand and I just get a few table spoons more out. Any tips on getting most of it cleaned out of the system?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Don't worry about it, put the drain bolt back in and fill it up.

Just like an oil change, you never get all the old oil out.

No big deal. As long as thing are changed in the recommended times it is all good.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I just pulled the drain plug and then the radiator cap and it came out very fast. after a few min I put the drain plug back in and started the fill. I suppose it would be ok to blow air in the radiator cap end by sealing with a towel or rag, and I don't know if you could over pressureize the system, maybe not a good idea. I put back in what the book called for and it was full.

·
Vendor
18,083 Posts
I just pulled the drain plug and then the radiator cap and it came out very fast. after a few min I put the drain plug back in and started the fill. I suppose it would be ok to blow air in the radiator cap end by sealing with a towel or rag, and I don't know if you could over pressureize the system, maybe not a good idea. I put back in what the book called for and it was full.
Don't waist your time blowing air or even getting some special tool the sucks more out like some get. Do it just like Kit says ... just like the book says and doing so is doing it exactly like Honda wants it done. It is a drain and fill ... nothing more. The important part is doing it at the intervolds as required by Honda. For some reason, many try and over complicate it ... just doing it is the most important part!!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What he said

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
I agree with the simple "drain all that will drain and then refill with Honda pre-mix". EXCEPT, if you or previous owner neglected to replace coolant by schedule, or there is coolant of unknown quality, age, or type of water. In those cases, I suggest a thorough drain and flush. It is a 4 quart system and the standard drains only empty about 2 1/2 quarts. The U-View device gets almost all of the old out and even jacking up the rear end a good bit with the front wheel still down will get most. All in all, the easiest way is by following the book on this issue.

prs

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You blow 125-175 psi in the cooling system you WILL wish you have never have read it on the forum. Better have a regulator that's limited to the system psi. Most autos have 15 lbs, I'm not sure about a wing. Someone will chime in.

With that said, I wouldn't "blow" my coolant out. No reason gravity won't do the trick. I doubt you will get it all out unless you drain the block along with the radiator and overflow tank.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
You guys are losing me. Fred's video shows you need to remove the tank, empty it and fill with 2 qts before reinstalling. What is this only drain it? That leave 2 qts in the overflow tank.

·
Vendor
18,083 Posts
I've never changed my 2006 yet...I guess I should do it as it looks rather simple....ride safe...

Scott
The required intervolds are 2yrs or 24k which ever comes first. You may want to read the owners manual on the other required services.

You guys are losing me. Fred's video shows you need to remove the tank, empty it and fill with 2 qts before reinstalling. What is this only drain it? That leave 2 qts in the overflow tank.
Not sure what Fred video says. From what others say he says to do, I would question much of what he says to do. One time someone showed me his vedio on a coolant change and he had all these anti-freeze brands comparing them. Not sure if he is trying to sell anti-freeze or just his videos. The service manual give excellent direction on the proper proceedure to do a drain and fill ... use that as your guide.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts

Sometimes, things are so obvious that we tend to over-look mentioning them. Yes, the recovery bottle has to be removed, drained, cleaned and refilled to the cold line. I don't recall for sure, but I really dougt that it holds 2 quarts. More like a pint or so seems likey.

prs

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I do not remove the coolant recovery tank. Are you kidding me??

I use the brake bleed vacuum set up to suck the tank dry.

Then I fill it back up with Amsoil coolant. Gotta be amsoil coolant, nothing else will do.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It appears that when I drain my coolant I am not getting all of it out. I have tried draining in with the bike on the side stand and I just get a few table spoons more out. Any tips on getting most of it cleaned out of the system?
After removing the right pocket undo the filler cap for the cooling system. Then gently pick the bike up and hold it upside down for at least five minutes. Most of the coolant will pour out but you will need to shake it a bit toward the end to get the last few drops out. I also would recommend you do this with the engine cold. Put the bike back down and refill coolant. Real simple job.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I do not remove the coolant recovery tank. Are you kidding me??

I use the brake bleed vacuum set up to suck the tank dry.

Then I fill it back up with Amsoil coolant. Gotta be amsoil coolant, nothing else will do.
Good idea. Why don't they just put a drain plug on the damn thing!

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Or just make a siphon with a piece of plastic tubing.

Fill tube with water in a sink or pail, cover one end with thumb, insert other end in tank, hold covered end below level of tank, remove thumb..and voila!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts