GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has 15k on it, its a 2005, I have changed the oil 3 times. I checked that clear tube by the left side valve cover for water and there was non at all in it. I have ridden through lots of heavy rain so I was expecting it to be full. This is the first time I have checked it. Is this normal??

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Have never found anything in this tube on my Wing -- my Valk use to have stuff in it all the time. I just don't worry about it any more.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
82000 on mine and I still have not had anything come out of mine.

But my 1500 needed to be emptied quite often.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
just checked mine for the first time this week. Just over 20,000 miles. All I got was about two tablespoons of a brown thick liquid.
As well my 1500 always had several ounces in the tube.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Mine had some oil in it...well...it was because I'm an Official Bank Angle Sensor Tester (OBAST)...and I dumped my bike on the left side...and by the way...I also tested the left mirror folding action...the plastic and paint didn't do too well...but it folded fine.... :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
After a 3600 miles trip in July, I saw and "oily" substance on the left, chrome, coolant reservior cover. I traced the substabstance up the bottom of the left valve cover to the "clear tube"/breather tube". Somehow, with the cap still on the end of this clear tube, the liquid leaked out. My '05 1800 had 18,000 miles on it at the time. Prior to this, I would check this tube every oil change and never found any fluid in it. The fluid that leaked out was "oily" in nature. so to be safe, I removed the front under cowling and spark plug cover and found no other source for the leak. On the 1500's I've owned, this tube was called the crank case breather tube, and I had a little bit of fluid in it every several thousand miles. I would drain it, recap it, etc... Not sure how the fluid leaked around the cap? It sounds normal to me.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts