GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am over due for an air filter change. I don't really need to go under the shelter for anything else. Why am I dreading changing the filter so much! If you've done this yourself, then you know why.

Oh well, Guess Ill just get 'er done and inspect some things in there while she's opened up. Maybe I'll do an early coolant change too. "Working" on my wing doesn't seem as exciting as it was when I first got it and was all eager to learn as much as I could about it. Now I just want to RIDE it!

Even if I wanted to pay a dealer to change the air filter, I would have to do it myself. That's just the way I feel about it... too many farkles and custom electronics to trust a dealer with it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

... just sayin.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Well I am here in NJ as well and am in the same situation...perhaps we can get together and do both motorcycles together???

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
After you get in the first bite you will be ok!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am over due for an air filter change. I don't really need to go under the shelter for anything else. Why am I dreading changing the filter so much! If you've done this yourself, then you know why.

Oh well, Guess Ill just get 'er done and inspect some things in there while she's opened up. Maybe I'll do an early coolant change too. "Working" on my wing doesn't seem as exciting as it was when I first got it and was all eager to learn as much as I could about it. Now I just want to RIDE it!

Even if I wanted to pay a dealer to change the air filter, I would have to do it myself. That's just the way I feel about it... too many farkles and custom electronics to trust a dealer with it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

... just sayin.

:cool:
This is one frequency you don't really have to do much worrying about, so far each time I've changed mine out it was still pretty clean and I went way over the mileage the book says...... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is one frequency you don't really have to do much worrying about, so far each time I've changed mine out it was still pretty clean and I went way over the mileage the book says......
Yea Dick, I was kind of counting on that theory myself. But I don't even want to tell you how much I am "over" what the book says! Kind of like that rear tire you saw in WV. :22yikes:

I'm going to have to do it eventually, and I have a few long trips coming up, so I keep asking myself "Do it before I go, or do it when I get back?"

Oh, the humanity!:lol:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I honestly don't see your problem. I've done mine twice and found it to be a good opportunity to clean and inspect while there. It's just a job to do! Suck it up and get to work!
:agree: and maybe there is another electrical farkles to add while you have all that open!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think Lefty said he will get her done for you...
and he can do my too

·
Registered
334 Posts
Schedule it for the winter time when there is 3 feet of snow and you ain't got nothing better to do. :thumbup:
Fred, It's riding time as soon as the roads are reasonably cleared!

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's not too bad, just take your time with it. It's just time consuming.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yea Dick, I was kind of counting on that theory myself. But I don't even want to tell you how much I am "over" what the book says! Kind of like that rear tire you saw in WV. :22yikes:

I'm going to have to do it eventually, and I have a few long trips coming up, so I keep asking myself "Do it before I go, or do it when I get back?"

Oh, the humanity!:lol:
My first change attempt was the anal one, at 12,000, after all from what I had heard it would have to dirty by now, it looked new, so I kept the new filter for later, the second attempt was just a bit past 30,000 and it still looked real good but I did change it out anyway this time, the third was way past 60,000 and it wasn’t all that dirty either... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Before someone says I must be riding in a very clean area, I’ve been across our beautiful counter three times, on the west coast twice and the east coast to many times to count, from the Canadian border to Key West, probably been right in each of your neighborhoods once or twice, so I have seen all kinds on dirty roads and the pretty little girl doesn’t get her filter all that dirty, as was said by Fred In GA earlier, make it a winter project and don’t worry about it for now unless your gas millage takes a (not a speed or overloaded) nose dive... Hehehehe

By the looks of the throttle boars of our bikes and the size of the filter, I venture to say it is vastly over sized for the engine... Never run the numbers but it sure looks that way...

Ole yeah, make sure when you do it you keep real close attention of where each of the screws came from, there just about all different sizes, and you’ll have all kinds of trouble putting her back together if you don’t... :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ole yeah, make sure when you do it you keep real close attention of where each of the screws came from, there just about all different sizes, and you’ll have all kinds of trouble putting her back together if you don’t... :oops: :oops:
And if you really want to save time make sure you hear the click when reconnecting the cables. Ask me how I know. Anyone familiar with F1?

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is one frequency you don't really have to do much worrying about, so far each time I've changed mine out it was still pretty clean and I went way over the mileage the book says...... :thumbup: :thumbup:
I thought about skipping mine this time (24k), because it was so clean the first time. Good thing I went ahead and changed it, as I was another mouse-house victim. Went ahead and did the screen over the intakes modification. And we have two cats! Argh!!

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
A mouse can get in there in no time flat......Makes ya think why does it take me 3 hours. :wrong:

Been there on the hear the click before you bolt her back up....:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts