GL1800Riders Forums banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Alright, serious question. I understand the techniques many of you employ to stay cool. But what do you do when it’s time to stop; let’s say for a bite of lunch? You’ve soaked your base layers under your jacket so do you just walk in wet, change shirts before entering, place a dry shirt over the wet base? Really, how do you manage it?
The LD Comfort wicking materials (and by now maybe a few other brands) are really amazing in that they are actually two layers. The layer next to the skin wicks moisture away from the skin, while the outer layer retains the water. My skin stays dry, not moist and clammy. Also, when we say to wet the LD Comfort, it is just wet, not dripping with water. My LD Comfort can be saturated, but still not dripping water. I can walk in and sit down to eat and most would never know that my shirt was wet.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Alright, serious question. I understand the techniques many of you employ to stay cool. But what do you do when it’s time to stop; let’s say for a bite of lunch? You’ve soaked your base layers under your jacket so do you just walk in wet, change shirts before entering, place a dry shirt over the wet base? Really, how do you manage it?
So...

If I'm alone (or with my wife) and 'riding with a purpose', lunch typically isn't a sit-down affair. I have found over the years that I feel a lot better in the afternoon with 'lunch' not really being a full-on meal.

I'm mostly drying out, even if fully soaked on a 95° day (or hotter...) that I'm mostly dry in an hour or so. Thus, any type of a stop like that, just like @Audiochris90 does, my LD shirt is off and in the skink, if I can get away with it, to fully wet the fabric. If I can't do that, I'm fully wetting the sleeves as much as I can before I head back to the bike.

It looks funny as hell, and I don't care - sure does feel good when the wheels are rolling.

Dinnertime? I do the best I can with planning my lodging to be close (walking distance...) to food. I'll get cleaned up, rinse out the LD shirt and prep it to dry so I can wear it the next day.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hair Head Jeans Jersey Neck

Is this the LD shirt that you are referring to or are you using the short sleeve? I've read comments of also wetting the sleeves and except for turtlenecks, this is the only long sleeve I see. Can't imaging wetting short sleeves would be as beneficial. So, if the need arose to be in a public environment (I use a restaurant as an example for a RTE and not full-on touring) you'd remove your outer jacket and this is now your primary shirt? I've had several pair of their undershorts for years (but I've never wet them :unsure:).

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
T
View attachment 403462
Is this the LD shirt that you are referring to or are you using the short sleeve? I've read comments of also wetting the sleeves and except for turtlenecks, this is the only long sleeve I see. Can't imaging wetting short sleeves would be as beneficial. So, if the need arose to be in a public environment (I use a restaurant as an example for a RTE and not full-on touring) you'd remove your outer jacket and this is now your primary shirt? I've had several pair of their undershorts for years (but I've never wet them :unsure:).
Well, I have 2 and they are both turtlenecks, but they are all I wear under my Motoport jacket. I wear either the long-sleeve LD Comfort or short-sleeve Underarmor. If it is really hot the LD Comfort gives me the option of wetting it.

hat

Reactions: Motor Guy

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
View attachment 403462
This one (mock turtleneck) is the original shirt.

Jersey Human body Neck Sleeve Active pants

I've only got one, and I've had it for almost 10 years now.

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
This one (mock turtleneck) is the original shirt.

View attachment 403509

I've only got one, and I've had it for almost 10 years now.
Kwthom, how did you get this picture of me in my LD Comfort shirt? Granted, it was taken about 3 years ago, but I make that turtleneck look good! 😂

Glen

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Kwthom, how did you get this picture of me in my LD Comfort shirt? Granted, it was taken about 3 years ago, but I make that turtleneck look good! 😂

Glen
Isn't a sense of humor a wonderful thing to have. I feel sorry for folks who walk around all day with a "woe is me attitude". 🆒

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Although I sometimes wet the base layers I don't wet them in the parking lot of the lunch stop just before going in. I did that some time earlier and the clothes are dried, or still damp, but not dripping at lunch. Polyester/spandex Under Armour & similar apparel is thin and dries pretty quickly under mesh. That's how it wicks off the sweat from the skin and cools through evaporation.

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Isn't a sense of humor a wonderful thing to have. I feel sorry for folks who walk around all day with a "woe is me attitude". 🆒
My sole remaining vice is that I like to make people laugh. Either with me or at me doesn't matter as long as we're smiling. Thank you for understanding!

Magic Mike, aka Glen. aka Glockjock

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
756 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Glockjock

·
Administrator
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
AKA HWOSWMBO

Ride Safe,
Jeff
Only you, Jeff, only you. 😂 🤣🤣

(actually, I'm wondering who other than you and I know what you said!)

101 - 114 of 114 Posts