GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drew called and after some small talk, he said that I had a Lottttttttttt of stuff ordered, and that there was a problem with my credit card. (oh chit).

Well anyhow, the problem was with the expiration date. Seems my old card ran out the last day of November. Gave him the new date and everything is on it's way.

Talk about a company that is customer friendly! HDL could have sent me an email, or a letter or just waited till I called them. Nope, they took the time and paid for a long distance call, just for my convenience. If that is not customer service and focus, nothing is.

Once again, HDL has exceeded my expectation!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here's a credit card related story:

When you have a credit card the bank that issues them sends you these blank checks all the time, you know the drill, consolidate your balances from other credit cards, special low interest or no interest for 90 days, etc.

Last fall I decided to get the CB for my 1800, I talked to my dealer about price and he gave me a price that was very close to the online prices, so I gave him the business. I had received some checks for one of my credit cards, the promotion was to do your Christmas shopping now, no interest or payment due till after the first of the year, the checks were marked that they were good until Dec 31, 2002. I got the CB and paid for it with one of those checks, a week later the dealer called and told me the check bounced! :oops: It came back marked "No such account", I was so embarrassed :oops: I told him the story about the checks, showed him that it was printed right on the checks that they were good for at least another month, then I wrote him a personal check for the amount plus his bank charges for the returned check.

I didn't call the credit card company right then because I was so mad I would probably say something I might regret later, so I waited a few days, then I got a bill in the mail, the credit card company sent me a bill for the returned check, the bill was applied against the account they said I didn't have! :cus: Needless to say I called them immediately, the customer service person was baffled why the company had done this, it was clearly an error, they did take care of it in full, gave me a credit for the bad check charges that I paid my dealer, and credited my account for the erroneous charges.

I had been getting those checks for years on various credit cards, I always ran them thru the shredder, and that's what I continue to do, as soon as I get them they go in the shredder! :eek:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those Stupid Checks!

Well, I was not as smart "way back when". I used some of them. That is considered using the "cash withdrawal" part of the card. That, friends, goes to the higher interest side of the account. SO, if you have a large balance there and a larger balance on the "charged items" side of the account, guess which one gets paid off first with your payments?? The lower interest side, of course. I had one part that was about 14.9% and the cash part was 19.9%. The don't touch the higher interest portion until the other part is paid off. So they get a bunch of money by suckering the consumer. I learned the hard way, but would never do it again!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Bulldog!

Bulldog, I need your credit card number and expiration date. Just trying to keep my files up to date. Promise I want share it with anyone else. LOL BTW, I called the unclaimed property unit after seeing your post, and they have $250 waiting for me. Seems I bailed a friend out of jail back in 1988 and they are still holding the money. As promised, I owe you a dinner. Just send me your credit card number and expiration date and I'll buy you and all your friends dinner. :wink: SLIDE

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Bulldog, you're spoiled!

And you call me spoiled? So tell us Bulldog, what goodies did you get? Just hang in there my friend, we've got a long winter ahead to add accessories. Don't have too much fun yet, as winter isn't officially here yet.

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/wingnut

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have a few credit cards but only use three. I have one I use just for my business, another I use for a business I have with a partner and a third that I earmark for personal use. The first two get a fair amount of use and get paid off every month and always have. The third one is seldom used through the year as I tend to pay as I go. That's the card that gets me in trouble every December, however and I'm sure this year will be no exception. :roll:

I do my Christmas shopping all on one day. I like giving nice gifts and enjoy spending money on my family. Usually sometime around two in the afternoon of my shopping day I'll have a store ask me for all sorts of ID and have me talk to my credit card company. It seems my card use pattern is exactly the same as the use pattern for a stolen card! :shock:

That card sets idle and unused for months on end and then gets hammered hard one day with purchase after purchase after purchase about as rapidly as one can shop. :shock: I'm grateful to my credit card company for the diligence they exhibit in checking on such things. After I answer the secret code questions, show photo ID's to the store and convince them I am the card owner, I always make it a point to thank the credit card fraud people. If I ever do have a card stolen, it's nice to know they're paying attention. :)

My son had a card stolen out of his hotel room in Mexico City while he was there on business and didn't even realize it was gone until he got a statement showing over $900 from Nike Town of Mexico City. He had to fill out a couple forms and there was no charge to him but it was an inconvenience lasting over a week. He even had to provide a copy of his itinerary and plane tickets proving he wasn't in Mexico at the time of the charges. :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just make sure those of you shredding those checks, continue to shred them and those who don't think to better start. I was watching the news just a few days ago in Central Fl and they cought a group of people taking those very checks out of peoples trash bags and getting fake ID's to use them. Shred everything like a politician.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
About six years ago I decided to take a trip on my GL 1500 from Calif. to New Jersey to visit with my Mom & Dad. Not wanting to carry a lot of cash I decided to use my credit card for most of the trip. Previous to this trip I used this credit card very seldom. All went well until I got east of Arkansas and tried to pay for a motel room with my credit card. I was told that Visa had rejected my card and I couldn't make anymore transactions on this card. After making some phone calls I found out that the bank was following the usage of my card from Calif. and determined that it was stolen and was being used across the US. I got that all straightened out, and now before I go on vacation I call Visa and tell them where I anticipate going so they can flag it on there end and not do the same thing again. At first I was upset, but after I thought about it I was glad that they had these security measures in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts