GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about relocating my gps from just below the ignition key area to the middle of my madstad baseplate. This would allow the gps to sit behind the baseplate and tucked above the dash nicely. Has any one done this? I figure one hole in the middle of the baseplate with a short ram mount ball should work. Want to have the gps closer to my line of sight. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
It's acrylic....be careful. Twist drills that still have "the hook" on the cutting lip can grab and crack acrylic. Also, if you're successful in getting the hole(s) in the acrylic, chamfer the hole edges so you won't get spider cracks.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
No reason to drill a hole in it, the Ram adhesive balls work really well on the Madstad base. I have two, one for my Sirius/XM radio and another for either GPS or my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Any reason you can't use the existing bolts for the brackets that go between the shields? RAM has a couple styles of mounts with bolt hole flanges and even have some with internal threads that would replace the nuts.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I'd say that "both" of the suggestion above sure does beat drilling a hole...

Ronnie

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yep done it and it works perfectly. Mounted a Ram mount ball on mine and moved the GPS up there where it really needs to be. I have sold the windshield but heres a picture of it...

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
If you drill a hole, be sure to put some masking tape down so that plastic fragments will not scratch your windscreen.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No reason to drill a hole in it, the Ram adhesive balls work really well on the Madstad base. I have two, one for my Sirius/XM radio and another for either GPS or my phone.[/

This is exactly what I did on my Madstad for my Zumo.
I love having it in line with my vision.
It just seems so much safer and convenient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts