GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear a half helmet in the summer and no matter what I do, my head ends up dripping wet after a 10 minute ride. I have tried doo rags, etc. and nothing seems to help much. I carry a towel in the trunk to dry my head when I stop. Are full face helmets with vents effective? I have one and just couldn't make myself wear it on a 200 mile trip last weekend because I didn't want to carry two helmets incase it was worse. Anyone got any suggestions?? Thanks

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
One of the best things I have done for riding is buzz off all my hair. I wouldn't tour any other way.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Just wear nothing on your head. In a worst-case scenario, the result is gonna be the same either way......unless you land gently on the top of your head. :roll:

I will argue to anyone though that it's your right to decide what you wear, if anything.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You're gonna sweat; no way around it, except to give up riding when it's hot out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I, too, am follicularly challenged. I recently (on the advice of Bubba1 and others) tried the LDComfort helmet liner. I wet it first, and wear it inside my full face (Shoei RF1000) helmet. My head stays cool, as does my neck, for about 1.5 hours. Amazingly, even though I wet it, my head also stays dryer than before. Hair is way overrated.....get rid of it and get an LDComfort helmet liner. :thumbup:

BTW, I ride in San Antonio.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sweaty head

I have a Shoei 3/4 helmet and the vents are very effective. i wear a do-rag under it. One time last summer, as an experiment, I soaked the do-rag before I went for a ride. I rode for about 45 minutes and when I took off the helmet the do-rag was dry. :cool::cool:

2,732 Posts
This helps

Being partly bald really has its advantages especially when wearing a helmet (but other times too :cool:). But I have a new Scorpion X900 that seems to channel a lot of air across the top of my head, lots more than the Nolan 103 that I had before. So helmet design might help, especially one with vents front and back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use the skull caps and the work great! I sweat profusely and keep my hair short too. The skull caps do not keep you from sweating but they sure do absorb a lot of sweat. Help keep the moisture away from the helmets. I got mine at a surplus shop. I think they were Air Force issue.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
.500" dia. holes around the periphery of the helmet allows the air in and the sweat out. However, spontaneous whistling can be a problem.

PS. Be sure to remove the helmet from your head before drilling.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man , you guys are great. I knew you would be. I just hate to waste money expermenting on stuff that doesn't help. I am going to try a few things other than the buzz cut. Keep the info coming!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I use a Shoei RJ Air platinum 3/4 helmet with all the vents open and a stock windscreen in its lowest position with the vent wide open, and a buzz haircut. I can feel the air flowing over my knoggin inside the helmet.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have been using SILKS head covers for years and they work well. Also the HJC IS max BT has very good ventilation.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I always wipe out the inside of my helmet at every stop and place it on it's side on the seat. Let's it dry.

Does wonders for keeping the smell out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts