GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2018 DCT Tour doesn't want to go into drive. I hold button down and not shifting into first gear. It's random, if I hold down on button longer than normal it will finally engage. Help please.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
From the sound of it, I don't think it could be anything other than a flaky switch: either the drive switch itself, or perhaps the kickstand switch, which would also prevent the unit from going into drive. I don't know which direction this switch would fail (open or close), nor how the control unit interprets those signals. Sounds like a very straightforward warranty claim to me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Do another CIP and then try it again. Don’t ask me why I know it might work!

PS if the motor is cold you’ll have to let it worm up. If it all works, ride the bike, get The bike hot and do the CIP one more time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won't go in gear

The Accelerator Position Sensor has to be at idle when putting the bike into gear, so make sure you aren't applying the throttle at all when trying to shift. Also, do you have any aftermarket grips installed?
Thanks Fred, not applying any throttle and no aftermarket grips. One person suggested do a CIP, what is that?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Won't go in gear

Do another CIP and then try it again. Don’t ask me why I know it might work!

PS if the motor is cold you’ll have to let it worm up. If it all works, ride the bike, get The bike hot and do the CIP one more time.
What is a CIP

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help. First I checked oil and it was perfect, next I disconnected battery for reboot and what do you know everything went back to working as normal. Going for a ride tomorrow to see how things go.
Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts