GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike into the shop last Saturday. Vibration in the transmission. Found out the drive shaft was going out. I asked what could have caused this. He said probably the CT. He's not going to tell Honda I have a CT on the bike because that would void the warranty. With all the great minds on here, will a CT void any tranny warranty issues?

·
DSI Keeper
9,158 Posts
It's been the consensus that anytime warranty needs done, have a MT on it. Not been a problem for me in the last 5 years. Warranty long expired.

It's not often you hear the driveshaft going out. Glad the shop took care of you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have a spare with an E3 on it. I actually thought about changing it out. I'll know next time. I really appreciate the Sevice tech doing that for me.

·
Registered
826 Posts
driveshaft failure

Driveshafts fail rarely, but they do fail. I have to explain to my beloved wife that if nothing ever broke down/failed there would be no reason to have NAPA, Autozone, O'Rileys, and all the other parts stores, not to mention the Honda,Harley,Kawasaki, Yamaha, Beemer etc parts stores and departments. My final drive on my 03 1800 failed at 142K miles, unusual, but not without precedent. As my grand daughter would say, suck it up and deal with it.
Its totally absurd to state that a CT had anything to do with it, but when you're looking for a scapegoat and there is nothing readily apparent, the path of least resistance is putting the blame on something you know nothing about. Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it and not so humbly either.
:nojoke:
Andy

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
...Its totally absurd to state that a CT had anything to do with it, but when you're looking for a scapegoat and there is nothing readily apparent, the path of least resistance is putting the blame on something you know nothing about. Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it and not so humbly either.
Andy
:agree::bow::bow:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Driveshafts fail rarely, but they do fail. I have to explain to my beloved wife that if nothing ever broke down/failed there would be no reason to have NAPA, Autozone, O'Rileys, and all the other parts stores, not to mention the Honda,Harley,Kawasaki, Yamaha, Beemer etc parts stores and departments. My final drive on my 03 1800 failed at 142K miles, unusual, but not without precedent. As my grand daughter would say, suck it up and deal with it.
Its totally absurd to state that a CT had anything to do with it, but when you're looking for a scapegoat and there is nothing readily apparent, the path of least resistance is putting the blame on something you know nothing about. Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it and not so humbly either.
Andy
:agree::bow::bow:
Double that!:agree:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup. Never seen a GL1800 dump a final drive with a MT before....must be the CT. :roll:

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
David, I would guess that by now you probably have about 125,000 or so miles on your '06 for you are a little ahead of me. From what I've heard I don't think that's too far out of the norm for driveline replacement.

Glen

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David, I would guess that by now you probably have about 125,000 or so miles on your '06 for you are a little ahead of me. From what I've heard I don't think that's too far out of the norm for driveline replacement.

Glen
Right at 124K, Glen. It's been a week and a half now and I think I'm having withdrawals.... :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It sounds like the ol' "I know what YOU did caused the failure but because I care about you I wont tell Honda". This keeps you bringing all your work to the "guy that took care of you and hid the mistake from Honda". He mainly wants the dollars from Honda for warranty work, most likely not a great love for you. I doubt that he really believes the car tire caused your driveline to go out, if it did we would all be having driveline failures. The oldest trick in the book to cement a customer to your shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts