GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having rode the Yamaha and Honda DS models one thing that is mandatory is lubing the rear splines (not the U joint splines)
I just lost the Driveshaft on the Valkyrie and was just curious whether anyone has had DS rear spline issues on the 1800?
In theory this area is suppose to receive a wash from the differential however on the prior units the theory just does not work as planned.
I am thinking about pulling the rear wheel and housing as I just turned 108k to check it. I can pick up complete rear arms with differentials for $50 so I may grab one just in case.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
rearend

Good plan. I did just that. Cheap insurance. Most of the problems I have seen pics of were related to an improperly installed seal. I just keep changing my fluid and listening for any sounds of trouble. Not very many failures.

·
Vendor
17,367 Posts
Honda requires a Molykote grease. It you internet search that, it is for extreem abuse. So long as the boot has no hole and installed correctly, no service is required. When a drive shaft of u-joint goes bad, that is when one would clean the shaft splines coming out of the motor and relube. The grease is available at JustWings.com.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If you can get a new one for $50.00 why not just replace the old one now and avoid the possible on road break down hassle? That's what I did on my 04 at 120,000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts