GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last 21,000 miles, my "03 Wing's drive shaft rubber boot has come loose three times. (My friends twice with the same milage). The dealer tried glue and now a pin hole in the boot to keep it in place. The dealer thought the air inside the boot was expanding due to heat buildup forcing the boot loose. What's the real problem and or solution?

S

·
0 Posts
Boot

From what I gather the problem is the air preasure build up in the boot.
Most people that have had this problem fixed it by punching a hole in the boot to relieve the preasure.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My boot is off as well, going to wait until spring when I take it in for the frame recall and have it repaired ay that time.

Has anyone been able to re-install one of these at home? I spent about 3 hrs. one day, with coat hangers, rods, hooks or anything else I could form into shape with no luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
rubber boot

I put mine back. when I first got my bike. removed bolt from brake peddel and drop down to get my hand in there very tight used a little dish soap on the boot after I got it on I put a wire tie to hold the front in place and poke a small hole in the bottom. Works great

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got mine back on as well but I did the disassembly thing to get to it. I also banded the front end with cable ties, those zip tie things, and it's lasted seven months so far. Didn't have to vent the boot, that happened on it's own when it came off.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Brian,

I got mine back on as well but I did the disassembly thing to get to it.
What all was involved in the disassembly? What I failed to mention in my previous reply is, mine is off at both ends. I only tried putting the back end on.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I kept taking things out till I could reach it. Once I got the fuel tank out and removed the rear water hose coming off the block I could get my hand in there to put it on. It was a major pain and I would've let the dealer do it but I was leaving the next day for a rally and couldn't wait.
Even with everything removed it was still a pain to get it back on using only one hand. Whole thing took me around 12 hours to do. Unless you're REALLY comfortable tearing your bike down AND you have the manual I would recommend you take it to the dealer. It's all covered anyway, they'll do it for free.

Like I said earlier, attending the rally was the only reason I did it myself! Next time it goes in the shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boot problem

I have a 02 that I bought (new) this year, and the boot destructed before I had gone 400 miles. Unfortunately it pulled the rear break light switch wires off also. The dealer fixed the problems and I now have 3300 miles with no reoccurrence.

Mike
:D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I replaced mine at about 1000. I think the front came doose, the othmr end was OK. I did not disassemble anything to get at it. Just a little patience. I also put the pin hole in it. I now had 39,000 and it's still in place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine hasn't come off but when I checked it, there was already a small hole.

I am the original owner and I don't believe this was done by the dealer. It is in a position that is not the easiest to get to. If the dealer did it, I would have expected it elsewhere.

My point is... I believe the boots come with a small hole already in them. Mine is an 03 model.

FYI, the hole is very small and in the middle of a crease. It would be very easy to miss... especially if yours is not facing out like mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drive shaft boot

You all have done very well with your boot. Mine came off at 44 miles
and shredded up and dropped pieces on the catalytic converter. And let
me tell you that smells bad. I went back to the dealer with it and told them about the smoke and smells coming from the side. They responded well and ordered the boot and replaced it while I waited and helped. The
best way we found to replace the boot was to remove the rear wheel, the rear unit( ring & pinion) And the rear brake Master cyl.. There is no lube in the tube so we just pulled the driveshaft back and slid (finageled, spelling?) the boot in and lipped it over the ridges front and rear. The boot is still on 7500mi later but the burnt rubber smell appears every now and then

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Wonder if someone will ever make a 'split' boot to replace the old one without a lot of disassembly, similar to CV joint boots on cars?

·
Registered
173 Posts
What's wrong with my bike...

My boot has never come off after 18000 miles. '02 IB. Never OH'd either, but I'm dead in the middle of the frame thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts