GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about drive shafts mostly on CSC models. I have a Champion and a short while ago had the trike's rear end fixed. When the trike was on the lift, the mechanic noted that two of drive shaft bolts were missing and the 3d one was loose.

Ya'All might want to have your drive shaft checked regardless of the model trike.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Thanks for the info Comanche. How is the weather up there today. It was 107 on our ride today. I will pass that info on to my 3 wheel buddies.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Comanche. How is the weather up there today. It was 107 on our ride today. I will pass that info on to my 3 wheel buddies.

My granddaughter played soccer in San Antonio today starting at 4:00. She said it was quite warm.

Our riding club had a breakfast ride this morning. By the time I got home at 11:15 it was 105.

Heading to Kerrville over Labor Day to ride the sisters. Would love it to cool off, but don't think it will. Been going to Kerrville in July for a seminar for 38 years. It has rained at least one day every time we had the seminar. Wish it would rain over Labor Day. We would have to ride a bit slower, but we will be comfortable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I see so many posts concerning the CSC drive shafts. Especially the new ones now. Now let me think about this. If the splines are failing but not on all of them, could it be possibly a problem with the manufacture of the yoke itself???? In any producion process it's possible for some parts to slip through QC. Especially if they are using process inspection instead of individual part inspection. It could be that the additional stress created from the added gear box has put the yoke beyond it's limits. Or there were just some parts made that did not actually make the limits of the specs.

Consider this. I just purchased a new yoke for the old style CSC system. The yoke was defective. Anyone here think that could be part of the problem with the new ones??? The additional stress takes it just beyond the tolerance of allowed specs. I have been reading of failures of many trike kit manufacturers over the years.

Also consider the fact that at best only 10% of owners ever participate on a board or forum of any kind. And of those it's mostly the ones that have problems that are here. This is not meant to demean the many on this that participate for the love of the GL. From what I have seen here it is not the "norm". There are far more here that participate for the sheer love of the GL.

But a simple matter of fact is that trikes are higher maintenance!!! Ride them. maintain them= no problem. Ride them, abuse them, neglect them= tow them. It doesn't matter make or model.

Flame suit on. JMHO Thank you Comanche for reminding us an ounce of prevention..................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts