GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 09 with 14K miles and this happens in all gears but there is a drive train noise but when squeezing the clutch, the noise is gone. Not a grind, rattle or clunk just a noisey drive train. Is this normal?
Been riding and wrenching on many bikes over the years

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Is this your first Wing? They have distinctive wine, and clutch swirling type noises, clunky gears ⚙ all normal for the Goldwing. Drove me crazy... Welcome by the way!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is this your first Wing? They have distinctive wine, and clutch swirling type noises, clunky gears ⚙ all normal for the Goldwing. Drove me crazy... Welcome by the way!!
Yep, I just turn the music up since the pipes don't drown anything out.>:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts even turning your sounds up. I had a 83 1100 for a while and many other bikes. Speak about a whine I had an 09 Royal Star Venture that comes with a (normal) whine. I traded in a 2013 star 1300 deluxe that I put 50k miles it only had 5 miles when I got it.
I got this GW yesterday and in the shop today. They just told me about the secondary master cylinder recall.
UPDATE: after taking it on a longer ride I think it's coming from the clutch

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Like Joen says in his post. GL1800's make all kinds of noises that are normal and I think the reason you hear them is because they are so quiet. BTW Welcome to the asylum. A staff physiatrist will be assigned to you shortly. >:)

Reactions: Joen

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Just got an 09 with 14K miles and this happens in all gears but there is a drive train noise but when squeezing the clutch, the noise is gone. Not a grind, rattle or clunk just a noisey drive train. Is this normal?
Been riding and wrenching on many bikes over the years
A moan or groan ???

Is it banggy ???

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Crikey! Pleased you got to the bottom of that noise.

I would have a good look at that service schedule and ensure everything mentioned is completed.
You will see some things are distance related and some are time related.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
You'll probably notice it shifts a bit smoother as well. When it gets about halfway to the next oil change the sounds you heard will start to work their way back, and you'll notice a mild clunk when shifting. Nothing wrong, just the nature of the beast. Different oils will also affect how long she stays quiet. It seems our bikes have their preferences just like we do. Ride safe and enjoy.

Reactions: Joen
1 - 12 of 12 Posts