GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bike is 14 months old has 34000 miles changed the drive oil at 10000 and 24000 per dealer's and Honda's recommendation.....Just had the bike in for 32000 mile maintenance...the dealer checked the drive oil it was black....with only 10000 miles since the last oil change.....

Is there a problem brewing....? Why so black after only 10000 miles...? What would cause that...types of problems...?

Thanks In Advance....

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
First change sceduled at 24k, so you are already way ahead of this. Black means nothing, go by miles. Every 24,000 is plenty. I do every 20,000 just to make it easy to remember to do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Type of oil?

Could it be the brand of gear oil you're using? I use a very clear synthetic and it still gets a bit discolored. Not black though. Change it annualy.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It will get dark from use, I change mine every other oil change, thats every 6,000 miles, only takes 4 ozs. and 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
the first oil change will be black due to the moly added for break in..
but that is long gone by the third oil change.

if the most recent black oil was caused by a problem brewing,
there would probably have been some excessive "swag" (fine metal particle accumulation) on the magnetic drain plug..

I doubt the dealer would have noticed that but you may want to ask.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
My replacement tranny fluid (meets all specs) in the bottle was opaque black, it will depend on brand and type ... Dennis is right, metal fragments are the clue for impending problems; but I would add gear 'noise' to that list of clues!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...no noise...runs great....I am not sure what oil is used...I have the maintenance plan from the dealer so they have been changing it with what I would assume is the recommended oil from Honda....dealers response for the black oil was the iron butt I did at high speed, high heat for extended period of time...they said no problems indicated just that it was the right time to change it....

Thanks....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts