GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first CT was the Pirelli Snow Control. Wore out a bit quickly (11,000 miles) but handled quite well. Only time it was wonky was at slow speed over uneven pavement (poorly paved parking lots, etc.) Rode it in the Dragon last summer and it really performed well.

I’ve now got 4,500 miles on my 2’nd CT – Bridgestone Driveguard. Not too thrilled with it. Besides the same wonkiness at slow speed over uneven pavement, it also exhibits the following characteristics:
  1. At all speeds, it seems to adversely react to any road imperfections. Pulls and lurches whenever encountering irregular road surface.
  2. Follows the road grading much too harshly. I.e., if road is graded to right, bike will pull right. If road is graded to left, bike will pull left. This “following the road grade” is much more noticeable than the Pirelli Snow Control. Actually I do not recall the Snow Control trying to follow the road grade.
  3. Harder to turn (compared to Snow Control)
I have run different pressures, from 30 lb cold, to 38 lb cold. Different pressures did not seem to make much of a difference.

I am thinking of ditching (the hardly worn out) Driveguard and trying:
  1. The Pirelli P1 which many of you rave about
  2. A more narrow runflat CT that some of you have tried, and say “handles more like a MT”
I do not want to give up the peace of mind I get from running a runflat tire, and I can live with low speed wonkiness over bad pavement. Would like to try another runflat CT (other than Snow Control which wears out too quickly).

Inputs? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You are on the right track thinking about the P1. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Having not run either of those two tires, I can't compare them to the P1. Will it give you the mileage you want or expect? I don't know. What I can tell you, is after 14,000 miles, I still have 4/32" of tread left, and it still handles very well as it did when it was new.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
are you saying, based on your experience, that the tire will perform better (particularly in reference to my issues) at lower pressure?
I agree with the lower pressure. I found the drive guard has a very firm sidewalk and it will flex easier at pressures below 30 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the lower pressure. I found the drive guard has a very firm sidewalk and it will flex easier at pressures below 30 psi.
Currently running 36 lb cold (heats up to 40 lb when riding)
Will drop it down to 28 lb cold tomorrow and try it out

·
Registered
685 Posts
--

I used to think I was running a certain pressure in my tires, then I got a more sophisticated TPMS which in intensive discussion with the manufacturer, decided was more accurate than any guages I had. Then I went to a half dozen tire dealers in my area and compared my guage with theirs. Everybody's was different. These 'so-called-experts' really had no idea if their equipment was accurate or not. So considering that my guage was most likely reading 3# too high, realized that for some years had been running a pressure I didn't want.

So in comparing with my accurate TPMS, I now use the guage appropriately being read. Point--you may think you're running what you're not. If you have a dealer who has some type of calibration check guage to guide your use of your own guage, that would be an alternative to using a reliable TPMS.

--

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am running a Drive Guard and i love it. Before i was using the Michelin Alpine but i have no problems at all with the drive guard. and it is holding up well, and i guess i have had it in use about 2 years now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Aloha gkc501,

I run a 205 DG at 28 lbs on a 2018 Tour and love the tire. I've run the Yokohama Enviger and the Michelin Alpin, but those were on the Gen 5 bikes.
I like the DG better than those two.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just changed my drive guard and went with a P1, it is so close to a motorcycle tire and just falls into a turn! Very happy with this P1 tire.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
--

I used to think I was running a certain pressure in my tires, then I got a more sophisticated TPMS which in intensive discussion with the manufacturer, decided was more accurate than any guages I had. Then I went to a half dozen tire dealers in my area and compared my guage with theirs. Everybody's was different. These 'so-called-experts' really had no idea if their equipment was accurate or not. So considering that my guage was most likely reading 3# too high, realized that for some years had been running a pressure I didn't want.

So in comparing with my accurate TPMS, I now use the guage appropriately being read. Point--you may think you're running what you're not. If you have a dealer who has some type of calibration check guage to guide your use of your own guage, that would be an alternative to using a reliable TPMS.

--
The 2018 goldwing has built in TPMS and displays the readings on the console. The wing's TPMS consistently read withing 1 lb of my mechanical gauge. I have always assumed (yes, I know what assume means) therefore that (give or take 1 lb) I know what my tire pressures are.

But maybe both the TPMS and mechanical gauge are off? Who knows.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who responded. Good inputs!
Will definitely try the Driveguard at 28 lb for awhile. Seems like quite a few of you are quite happy with your DG at that pressure. And if not happy with the change, will eventually switch to the P1.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I run my DriveGuard at 32 and so far its been the best CT I have had to date.
Feels very close to a moto tire than the others I have tried over the years.

I found running down any lower in pressure tended to wear out the edges faster than the center.
32 seems to provide pretty good even wear. However, I don't get to run a lot of twistys so maybe that helps the even wear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE - TEST DRIVE AT LOWER PRESSURE

Driveguard was at 37 lb cold. Lowered the pressure to 28 lb (note – both my mechanical gauge and bikes TPMS both read 28 lb). Went for a little 100 mile test ride. Slow roads, interstate, out in boonies country, twisties – all types of roads that I am familiar with.

At lower pressure bike definitely handled better. Less wonkiness, less pulling due to graded road, easier turning. Handled well enough that I will probably wear the DG out before replacing it. Although IMHO it does not handle as well as the Snow Control.

My next tire will most likely be a Pirelli P1. Or possibly a more narrow runflat CT (175?) if I hear enough positive reviews from those of you that have gone that route.

Thanks again for all your inputs. This forum rocks!

·
Registered
831 Posts

This is my Drivegurad, it has been in service about 18 months and has near 11 thousand miles on it and i set air pressure at 36 pounds. I am very pleased with this tire and with my BT45 on the front. smile
1584396089983.png

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have run Dunlop winter sport run flat tires for about 10 years now. The 175/60/16 is the best handling in my opinion, although I have run the same tire in 195/55/16 on two occasions when the 175 wasn’t available. The 175 is much better for me. Just ordered another one from tire rack today. Delivery on Monday. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I rode the DriveGuard .for a couple years. It seem to run best at around 28 PSI. Above 32 felt wonky.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I've tried many different ones, including drivegard, alpins, few others. I personally like the Yoko avid envignor, run at 28-32 depending on what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My tire is scheduled for delivery tomorrow just before the state wide stay at home order goes into effect for Ohio. Good thing this was an “advance” purchase for later in the year. 👍

1 - 20 of 24 Posts