GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 audio,comfort, navi, with 31,200 miles on the clock, is giving me a lot of drivetrain backlash and there is a new and ominous "growl" during acceleration and normal straight-line, no elevation change running. It sounds to me like maybe the driveline/final drive unit is wearing excessively. Can the U-joint in the driveline be replaced or does one have to replace the entire driveline? The growling sound seems to come from directy under the saddle area.
Any input would be appreciated as I plan to replace the final drive with a trike take-off and maybe replace the driveline as well at the same time.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No the universal is sealed. Pick up a new one from a trike build along with the rear drive.

Use a good moly 60 or equivalent grease on the splines.

Kinda unusual with that low mileage, but stuff does happen.

Drive shaft length varies there are two. Make sure you get one that will fit your year bike.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My 07 audio,comfort, navi, with 31,200 miles on the clock, is giving me a lot of drivetrain backlash and there is a new and ominous "growl" ...
Maybe the "CT: Pirelli Snowsport 210 ROF 195/55/16" has something to do with it.

Honda is aware of "unusually high loads" on the drive line caused by the use of car tires. They suggest sidewall inflexibility due to contact patch of car tires load the rear arm to an extent that could cause damage to the drive line components.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Is this the same mother Honda that looks for any excuse to not cover problems under warranty?:shrug::shrug::shrug: Just asking.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
273 Posts
For me, and it could have been just me, I had changed to synthetic gear lube and I thought I got more drive line lash. I thought it was due to the synthetic seeming more thinner and having less drag that allowed the shifting to give more clunk. I went back to mineral lube and in my mind it is a smoother and quieter shift. Like I said starting off, it could have been just ME.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
drive line

Just get a trike take-off from an 06 or newer. I think thats when they changed the length of the drive shaft. I got a complete one for 148. shipped to my door. Its just as easy to change out the whole thing and be done with it. If you ride a lot, pick up a second one for a spare, just in case. Remember the moly for the splines when you put the new one in. Its only about an hr job.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Could it possibly be an issue with the tire (broken cord, feathering, etc)... Anyway you could try another tire/rim on it (from a nearby friend's bike)...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DT

Maybe the "CT: Pirelli Snowsport 210 ROF 195/55/16" has something to do with it.

Honda is aware of "unusually high loads" on the drive line caused by the use of car tires. They suggest sidewall inflexibility due to contact patch of car tires load the rear arm to an extent that could cause damage to the drive line components.
Nope! The noise and backlash was evident long before the CT was installed.Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kit

No the universal is sealed. Pick up a new one from a trike build along with the rear drive.

Use a good moly 60 or equivalent grease on the splines.

Kinda unusual with that low mileage, but stuff does happen.

Drive shaft length varies there are two. Make sure you get one that will fit your year bike.
Thanks for the info. I will contact a trike shop for the driveline and install the new final drive and a new driveline. That should do it.

Thanks again Kit.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

I bet your eyes are brown too?
Unless you Work in Honda.Then I say you're full of something.:eek:4:

A tires traction has no bearing on the quality of the parts up the drive line.Unless the OP was doing constant burnouts??

Is this the same mother Honda that looks for any excuse to not cover problems under warranty?:shrug::shrug::shrug: Just asking.:lol::lol::lol:
I beg to differ here!
I have had ten-yes ten warranty repairs without as much as a whimper from honda when my bike was in warranty.
The major things were the 3 engine pulls.
1-ACG replaced.
2-two tranny rebuilds.
The last they installed a Complete new engine.
All on the same bike.A little over $17,000 on Honda's dime..not bad for a ex-warranty huh.

So much for your statement huh..LOL

Nope! The noise and backlash was evident long before the CT was installed.Thanks anyway.
You would feel a very slight backlash if you were in high RPM's and suddenly rolled off the throttle.But you Shouldn't feel any backlash to cause a concern unless there is something wrong in the drive or drive shaft.

A trike take off is the way to go.When you have the drive off,you can then inspect the front u-joint for wear.If it's loose (there shouldn't be any play) then their is the issue.
If it's tight (no play) then you had a bearing in the drive going out causing the noise/lash.

Not uncommon for a drive to go out.mileage is normally around 100K before that happens,but has happened for what ever reason of earlier mileage bikes too.

No one rebuilds them to know which bearing took a dump because a take off drive is way cheaper and faster to get the bike going again.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Which all brings up simple common sense.

If you run a CT. Do not take the bike to a dealer with it installed, even if the dealer installed it, a Honda service Rep is not cool. With the right attitude and a smile, yes they will fix your bike. But rules are rules.

If you pull a trailer, hey take the hitch off, clip the wires, tape them up and rub dirt and dust all over the wire harness. Rub black shoe polish on the bolt areas and some dirt and dust into those areas too.

Play dumb, play the game. Get the bike fixed and then go on with what you want to do.

Professional people are not stupid. They can tell. They can see.

Once upon a time I got into a fuss with a Building Inspector. The plumbing code quite clearly says, purple primer shall be used on all drainage fittings and will be purple in color so it is known to be used.

I used a different glue that did not require primer as per the manufacturer instructions. The inspector turned me down. I presented the glue specs to him and so on. O.K. he says, you can present this to the County and the Council will rule on it..........in six months.

So I took a can of primer and painted all the fittings. All primed up.

This feller caught me, he dug under the fittings and said......Kit ya forgot to paint the underside of the fittings.........Lol! Lord!!

Cut them all out, 29 couplings later it was all fixed.

Avoid it before it starts, you will not win.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Kit, now there moral in your story, and a good story it is. I've heard that Harley will not honor a warranty with a trailer hitch on the m/c.....Not looking for a flame, just saying the discussion is 'out there'.....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, now there moral in your story, and a good story it is. I've heard that Harley will not honor a warranty with a trailer hitch on the m/c.....Not looking for a flame, just saying the discussion is 'out there'.....
It is more than hearsay.

Many Wing owners when the cracked frame issue was going strong found out the hard way that pulling a trailer was not cool with Honda. The frame repair or replacement was denied in many cases. Due to the use of a trailer and the owner had to foot the bill.

If I install a new water heater and it has a bad weld , hey, it is not my product, it is theirs. I honor my work and craftsmanship, but not the water heater.

I will if you are nice come change it out for you, but you owe me the gas money for going after it, hauling it over there for you and so on. You can do the paper work and collect the 75 bucks the manufacturer will give you for the change out.

Cuss me out.......hey I have hot water at my house. Lol!!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I'm guessing you're a contractor, reading your posts, informed about things other than 'GoldWing'....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I'm guessing you're a contractor, reading your posts, informed about things other than 'GoldWing'....
Yes sir, was a contractor, work for one now, but soon again. As the economy changes so will I.

I know people, know what they will do or say before they do or say it. All things in business are the same, no matter the product or the service.

All products have rules and warranty ways and outs. It is called self preservation.

AS for the bike I can take it apart, bolt by bolt, let you shake well , mix it up and I can put it all back together again. Without a manual.

Now I might wonder why my compressor does not work as my son has been using it and turned off the pressure switch, I do have my moments. Lol! Damm compressor, geez!! It was just the switch.

All things in life in business work about the same. There are rules and exceptions to warranty in them all. The public for the most part expects the impossible. Rare that they obtain that.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Cuss me out.......hey I have hot water at my house. Lol!!
That reminds me of when I cut or hit my hand on something on a customers bike and the customer laughs!

I'll say where the hell does this part go??
They say are you sure you know what you are doing there Rocky??
I say "I don't give a dam-My bike is over there"

They have the dropped jaw look on their face,and I say "Gee why aren't you laughing now?"

I'm bad to the bone,But I love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts