GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an after market driver back rest for the stock GW seat other than the back rest that has the arms that connect on the sides if the seat?
I would perfere a back rest that can be installed in the center of the back of the driver seat. Not sure if I am asking too much, I really don't want to get an after market seat system. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
You are welcome. Note that the Utopia requires a hole to be cut in the seat but there are probably directions on here since so many have done it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Utopia may be the answer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Used Utopia Backrest

I have a used Utopia backrest for sale. Fits 2001-2010 GL1800. Has the cut out in the brace for heated seat wires. Will post in the for sale after I take pictures.
$100 shipped in the US. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a used Utopia backrest for sale. Fits 2001-2010 GL1800. Has the cut out in the brace for heated seat wires. Will post in the for sale after I take pictures.
Reason for selling?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Get the Utopia you'll luv it and easy to install took me 30 mins or so. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Utopia is simple to install. Just be forewarned that if you have heated seats that you need to be very careful when cutting through the foam seat padding that you not cut the wiring. I know it sounds like a no brainer but from reading some of the past threads on the subject it is a pretty common mistake.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This is a first. A pre-owned Utopia Backrest for sale. I suspect someone got a new seat complete with a backrest. There are plenty of pre-owned bar mount backrests for sale and the #1 reason is the complaining from the passenger bar/ leg rubbing. The Utopia has the added advantage of subtle adjustments over the notched pre-set Kury.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Utopia backrest reason for selling

I am at the county fair all this week, will check back when I get a chance. Reason for selling. Bought a used Utopia from this form, but traded my 2004 for a 2010 before installing. I had the dealer install a new Utopia backrest as part of the deal.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Utopia is simple to install. Just be forewarned that if you have heated seats that you need to be very careful when cutting through the foam seat padding that you not cut the wiring. I know it sounds like a no brainer but from reading some of the past threads on the subject it is a pretty common mistake.

I have the factory heated seats on my bike, and the directions about how to cut the seat so that you don't contact any wires were simple and straightforward and I managed to get my Utopia installed in less than an hour and that's taking it off the bike and reinstalling it as well. Not bad in my book.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This is a first. A pre-owned Utopia Backrest for sale. I suspect someone got a new seat complete with a backrest. There are plenty of pre-owned bar mount backrests for sale and the #1 reason is the complaining from the passenger bar/ leg rubbing. The Utopia has the added advantage of subtle adjustments over the notched pre-set Kury.
The reason mentioned above is why I switched to the utopia. If someone wants to buy the Kury backrest from me, PM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The hardest part in installing the Utopia is with razor in hand, actually making the cut. Stood there frozen for 2 hours!:eek:4: After I made the cut, I installed in less than an hour1:thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Markland, you don't have to cut the seat. I am very pleased with it. My daughter rides in the back seat and the side brackets for the Markland do not bother her at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts