GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly short person, 5' 6" and I'm wondering if there are other riders out there that are similar in size and what their experience are with feet up on the wing. Going for a test ride soon and I'll know but sitting on one on the show room floor it feels like the back of the drivers portion of the seat is too far back from the handlebars for a person of my size. I could be wrong. I was also under the impression that the new wings set lower but I'm still not able to stand flat footed. Any other short riders out there can comment on the comfort level on a new wing for a person of my stature?

TIA
Donnie

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dlewis,

I am about the shortest model my Mom & Dad could order. 5' 4 1/2". The wing seat is 29". I am not flat footed on it at all.

Actually being short on the wing has it's advantages. The taller guys and gals feel cramped in the normal position on a stock bike. Not me! I ride that sucker like the cops were chasing me and I had just robbed the good will box in Church.

Some things that we can not do. Reverse the bike with our feet while astride the saddle. Also, it is not easy to rock the bike off of the center stand while astride the saddle either.

One last thing. I am Handicapped from a bad motorcycle accident in '96 and I have enough arthritis in me to halt the Iranian army.

Buy the bike, you will never look back.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's not the height so much as the length of the legs, I am 5'10" but have a 27" inseam, I can stand flat footed on the 1800, something I could never do on my 1500. Think about it this way, two wheels and one foot make a tripod, about the most stable platform around! :s27:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Donnie,

I know a lady that is 5'2" that rides an 1800. She had some things done to the 1800 to lower it and probably rides with the suspension at one of the lower settings also. Talk to your dealer about what can be done to lower the bike for you. If the dealer can't assist you with it, have them contact the Factory Rep and see if they can get help that way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Vertically Challenged

My wife who is 5'4.5'' rides a Black Cherry 04with know proublem, we are installing risers so that she can set back more comfortably. She does have a bit of a proublem getting it off the center stand, but can do it. We have a friend who is short also who has an 02, he installed a Travelcade
seat which he likes very well and has no proublems. You will enjoy the 1800. Scotty :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm only 5'2" and to compensate I had an upholstery shop cut away the side portions of my saddle and add about 1" of upholstery to the rider backrest to bring me forward. This helps but is not the complete answer. I also wear logger boots with elevated heels and soles. I usually run around with the rear shock setting at about 10 unless the SO is aboard, then we go with 20-25. None of this makes me securely flatfooted unless I'm aided by the crown of the road. You just learn to be VERY careful at stops, lights, gas stations, etc and keep the weight of the beast under control.Pat.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
dlewis ? I'm 5'8 and I have to wear my work boots with the big heels to touch flatfooted. I had a very, very, log ordeal with my seat that fortunatley has worked out for my benifit. The custom seat manf. can get you closer to the handlebars which in turn will make the saddle portion smaller ! Not as wide. And at first I had to still get up on the tank to get my feet down. But I got use to it. Going down the road I sit back and relax now, and then adjust when I get close to that stop sign etc. The cost will vary but they will be able to help you out. This is my custom seat that now fits my butt !

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Great feedback .... thanks for all the information. Guess I'll wait until I get on the beast and see how she feels and then go from there with what adjustments are needed based on the suggestions here.......... Zoom Zoom.

Thanks

Donnie

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im not sure on the height deal

Wouldnt an inseam measurement be a better guage to use on this problem?

I'm 5'9" I cant touch the ground flat footed. :roll:

My wife is 5'9" she can :cus:

You been on the bike yet?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True True

Good point ... my inseam is about 30" with my boots on .... haven't ridden it yet but will this coming Saturday if this stupid snow goes away some ............ When I stand it up on the show room floor more of my feet can touch than does when I'm doing the same on my Valk but not quite enough to stand flat footed on either one.

Donnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts