GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been hashed to death but just can't seam to find the answer. Please help!
I am 6'-5" and have the stock windshield all the way up. I wear a shorty helmet with visor attached face shield.
Problem is that when riding the wind noise and buffeting beat me up so bad that some of the enjoyment is taken out of the ride. I really need to know where the best expendature of funds would be to help eliminate some of the discomfort. Being in the Yuma area I don't really want to eliminate all of the air flow because it helps in the summer but I do need to eliminate the buffeting.
Options I am thinking about:
:arrow: Windshield replacement with Tulsa or Windbender? Any other suggestions?
:arrow: Would like to go to a flip-up full face helmet but can't find one that fits my big, oval head...sure wish I had a small round head :lol: but I do wear glasses so a normal full-face is a real pain to put on and take off. Any other suggestions for helmet would also be appreciated. Thought I would like the Schuberth but their XXL is too tight and the sun visor didn't really justify the cost.
I realize there are LOTS of options but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I'm only 6' but I use the Tulsa windshield and a Nolan 100 flip-up full face helmet. I also have the Tulsa wind wings that attach to the bottom of the mirrors. That's the combination that works for me. Others will reply saying what works for them. Seems like each scenario is different.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Buffetting..

I did 2 things to stop the buffetting... I installed the WindBender HP and Baker mirror wings.

I am 6'4" and change the placement of my windshield fairly often. I'll probably buy WindBender's electric "raiser upper and lower downer" when I grow up.

Kindest regards,

Boatner

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys.
I really appreciate the information that is available in this BB.

Thanks again
Kelly :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wind Buffeting

I too had the wind buffeting problem. I am VERY long bodied. When I sit on my bike with the stock shield all the way up, my line of sight is about 8 or 9 inches above the top. I used to love the wind in my face but now cant stand it. I went from a Suzuki LC 1500 with shield and no problem there with buffeting. I guess the aerodynamics of the GL 1800 direct a lot of wind to the passenger area. I just installed a tulsa Xtall tinted on my bike. If I buy a new one that will be the first thing I do to it. I have a slight problem with the shield in mounting but not much. The cocoon of still air in the cockpit is awsome. The Typhoon brand from chrome world is simular in style but I do not know about the quality. I do know the Tulsa is an awsome thing. Get one you wont be sorry.
Allan

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I have the full set of Big Bike fairing deflectors. That solved my problems. My head would bounce all over the place above 70mph. I use a stock shield all the way down and my seat is 1" higher than stock. I was noticing today I could run a steady 80mph and my head was perfectly still. I sit head & shoulders above the windshield. I am 5'11". I wear a 3/4 helmet.

I tried the Baker set, no good. I also tried the Tulsa mirror wings, no good! :(

The Honda fairing deflector set serves the same purpose as the BB deflectors. I think they are both ugly, but the tinted BB set isn't as ugly as the Honda clear set.

FYI: I only have one functioning eye, so if my head bounces I am screwed. I can't focus! :shock:

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Cee Baileys

The Cee Baileys windsheild is also an option you might want to consider. It is wider than stock, and they will make it to any height you want. It has a vent that reduces buffetting, and it really works.

The Windbender is also a good choice, especially with their upcoming electric version.

How much you guys wanna bet the 05 Wing has an electric sheild on it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I went with the Windbender plus 3 and the Tulsa mirror wings the buffeting is well under control. If not for the Utopia backrest the VP risers the Windbender and the Tulsa wings I probably would have sold the bike I was that miserable with the stock setup. Dave

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
CEE BAILEY'S

I use the plus 4 [6'2"] all the way down with no buffeting. It leaves a gentle air flow across my face using a half helmet. If you want taller than a plus 4, you need to call. No problems with rain thru the vent as it dissapates about 4 inches in front of your face.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My advice would also be... Cee Bailey's.
I have their +1 inch shield and that, along with the Tulsa mirror
wings, has cut the buffeting dramatically for me and the wife.
There are several really good after market shields out there. A lot
of it is really personal choice. From my perspective, I believe it's
very important to get a shield with a vent - not so much for the "air
conditioning" - but to reduce that low pressure area behind the shield
and smooth the air flow over the bike.

I gotta tell ya though guys, I do chuckle a bit whenever I hear this
conversation. This is my first Wing after riding cruisers for years.
Though the Wing can certainly be improved, maybe, just once each year,
we should all take a 500 mile day trip on a cruiser just to remind
ourselves how lucky we are to be riding the couch rocket. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: Cee Baileys

Fred H. said:
How much you guys wanna bet the 05 Wing has an electric sheild on it?
No bet. I would think they would be watching BMW, with their standard electric windshield and heated grips. All the reviews comparing the BMW to the wing mention those two options as being something that should be standard on a premium tourer. (I think we all agree, by the way!) Think I'll call Firecreek tomorrow and see how long I'm going to have to wait for the electric windbender. I really like the way it looks in their video.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While we're on the subject of windshields, I have a question for y'all. I am 5'10" and like the stock 'shield all the way up to keep the 'buffeting' to a minimum. I wear a 3/4 helmet and (sun)glasses. When the skies open up it gets darn tricky to see through the windshield. Sure the rain streaks but it is still pretty messy viewing. If I stop and lower the screen the rain hits me in the face and the glasses get fogged.. especially bad at night!! I hate to go back to a full face helmet and a lower screen :( ...any suggestions?
Jim W.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Rain Riding

jkwinchester,

When I see the rain coming I stop and put the face shield on and lower the windshield. The HJC AC3 ratcheting shield works great in this situation because you can open it one or two clicks and get enough airflow to keep the fog off of the shield and glasses.

When the rain starts to build on the shield just raise up slightly and let the wind clear it off. Works well except in the worst downpours. :D

PS. I really like the Cee Bailey and Tulsa mirror wings for reducing the buffeting. Just one of many good solutions. Works for me and the passenger.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mor'n Dale, I installed the Tulsa mirror deflectors a couple of weeks ago, one of half a dozen 'winter projects', and am looking forward to trying them, (snowing here this AM...). So you carry a helmet shield around with you to use when it rains? I was hoping to avoid stopping everytime I drive thru a showery hour or two, first to put the face shield on and lower the screen and then to reverse the process when the sun comes out and the heat with it...thats why I have waterproof boots, etc. No more doing the 'Totes dance'. Hmm, must be a better way.
Regards, Jim W.
Blk 03

·
Registered
561 Posts
There was another thread somewhere on the board here, which recommended putting some of the tinted tape that is used for windshields across the lower portion of the HJC AC3 faceshield, so that when it is flipped up it acts like a sun visor. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a smart system to me. Though the connections are easy enough to deal with, carrying a face shield around is anoying.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I agree that hauling the shield around is a pain. It is always in the way and takes up a lot of space. But, have not found anything better. If anyone has a better idea I'm all ears. I dont really like the shield in the flipped up position, it catches too much air. Otherwise Stormbringer's suggestion might work well. Really like having the visor too.

Usually stop to put on the rain gear anyway to avoid the wet seat syndrome. Talk about road rash. :lol:

We usually want out of the rain gear as soon as the rain is over (too hot in TX you know) so the stop on the other side of the rain is necessary also.

Wife wears her shield all the time, so at least there is only one to stow. Her eyes are very sensitive to the wind.

·
Registered
759 Posts
wind buffeting elimination???.....yes....I certainly start eliminating when my windshield starts buffeting.... :D :D :D

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Hauling a face shield has never been a problem for me with a bike with bags. I use the flat 5 snap generic shields. I keep a tinted and clear shield wrapped in a towel in the bottom of my left bag all the time. They don't take up any space and I have a large towel with me in case of a emergency such as major road rash occurence. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts