GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a drivers backrest, there's quite a few out there. Be interested in getting some opinions on the comfort and looks of some of them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I like the Markland. I had one on my 1500 (I used the same one on 2 1500's)
Have one on the1800

Does not require removing seat or cutting seat to install. Easy to adjust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the Krome Werks backrest, and my wife loves their armrests. Some folks don't care for the bars that attach the backrest to the seat saying it gets in the way of the passengers legs, but my wife has no problem.

The chrome is beautiful, and the seat looks like original equipment.

Scott

·
Registered
761 Posts
Utopia. I had the Kury but the bars got in the way of the passenger legs. The Utopia has a lot of adjustment, up-down, forward-back. Works great. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get the Utopia. I put one on my 05 shortly after getting it. I had some concern with the installation and the cutting of the seat but the installation went very well and there has been no problems in the two riding seasons as far as the seat goes wher i had t make the make the cut through the vinyl. that was my biggest concern. I especially like the adjustabilty of the Utopia. Easy to adjust and cn make very fine adjustments. I would never put anything else on any future bike. And, I have had other backrest on other bikes.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Another vote for the Markland.. its adjustable fore & aft... very comfy..
and you DON'T have to cut the seat...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I like my Utopia but have not tried others.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If i tore all the "goodies"off that I have put on,not enough yet,and could only keep one...it would be my Utopian backrest.The name says it all.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wanderer said:
I'm partial to Utopia.

Not only does it look better, it's less expensive that those with all the extra hardware. :wink:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
On my GL 1500 I had the Markland and later the Corbin seat with backrest. I'm on my second Utopia backrest, first was on my former Burgman AN650 and now on my GL 1800 '06 with heated seat and navi. It was my first mod to my wing.

Utopia is the way to go when compared to all of the above backrests. Quality is excellent and instructions are easy to follow, Utopia even has a video on their site showing installation on a heated 2006 GL 1800 seat. It took about 20 minutes to install taking my time.

https://www.utpr.com/available.html

Utopia usually has a back log of orders from their factory, however you can usually find a GL 1800 backrest in stock from one of their many vendors at a reduced price with free shipping. saving you about $20 and a two month wait. My total came to $169.95 and I got it in a few days from Niehaus Honda Direct (Utopia's part number, 18MT6).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Have been reading the posts on this thread with interest. I want to add a back rest to my 05 1800. I had one on my VTX 1300 as part of the Ultimate Low Rider setup, and miss it very much.

For those that installed the Utopia, did you use it with the stock seat or did you change to an aftermarket seat? I have not done any research about what seats are available for replacing the stock seat on the GL1800.

Thank you for all replies (assuming I will get some). :wink: :lol:

Todd

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Another vote for the Krome Werks. It looks great, bars aren't in the way, has three positions to choose from, no cutting of the seat required, & can be removed within ten seconds. I've had ours on all three of our Wings, & it'll be on a forth if we ever get another one. :wink:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
UTOPIA

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
wvnnva said:
Have been reading the posts on this thread with interest. I want to add a back rest to my 05 1800. I had one on my VTX 1300 as part of the Ultimate Low Rider setup, and miss it very much.

For those that installed the Utopia, did you use it with the stock seat or did you change to an aftermarket seat? I have not done any research about what seats are available for replacing the stock seat on the GL1800.

Thank you for all replies (assuming I will get some). :wink: :lol:

Todd
Aftermarket seats usually have their own backrests. I don't know if Utopia makes any backrests except for stock seats on the various bikes. Call and see.
http://www.utpr.com/

·
Registered
298 Posts
Utopia for me as well.

Billy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts