GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have experience with either of the Utopia, Show Chrome, or Kuryakyn 8931 Plug-N-Go backrests, I want to hear from you!

I would like to install a driver's backrest on my 2002 GL1800. I would prefer the type of backrests that do not have external bars on the sides (clean look), so I am considering either a Famous Utopia Backrest, or Show Chrome Smart Mount, or a Kuryakyn 8931 Plug-N-Go. If you have suggestions for other makes/models/brands, I would also like to hear about those.

Please provide your opinions on the following characteristics:
  • sturdiness
  • quality of product (mounting hardware and cushion/cover materials)
  • do they allow water to leak into the main seat?
  • support and comfort
  • passenger's comfort (with driver's backrest in front of them)
  • price to value (bang for buck)
  • general impressions
I am going to order within the next day or two, so I would like to hear from you ASAP.

Thanks so much,
Todd

·
Registered
468 Posts
Utopia

I love my Utopia...............

Great support
Sturdy
I have never found water to be a problem
Don’t ride with passenger
Would buy another one if something happened to this one or bought another bike.

Easy to flip down for mounting bike.

The only thing that I don’t like is when I flip it down to get off and forget to set it back up it pushes down the driver’s seat cantle (back part of drivers seat) which returns to its original shape in a short time. My fault for not returning it properly.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Utopia, Has been the best for a long time for most M/C's.. & still is, imho & many many others. Best price & engineering & best people to deal with.

·
Registered
373 Posts
installed a Utopia on my 1100 - loved it. when I bought the 1800, it came with a Kuryakyn. The mounting, being on the outside, makes it a BEAR when you take the seat off... I do NOT like it.

Get the Utopia! I will be getting one for my 1800 and getting rid of the Kuryakyn.

Be well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've had the Utopia for 7 years. No negatives. Still looks and functions well. I'd buy another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am not considering the Kuryakyn with the external hardware, but the NEW Kuryakyn 8931 Plug-N-Go is set-up similar to the Utopia (internally mounted). Does anyone have experience with this new Kuryakyn?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just purchased and installed a smart mount backrest for my 2002. It's well made, and installed easily, but it sits a little too forward for my taste (the utopia might be the same for all I know). I like to sit back in the "bucket" of the seat, and it forces me to sit a little forward of that. It probably doesn't help that I wear riding jackets with a back protection pad, and my spine sticks out a little in the thoracic area from some compression fractures. I've removed the "adjustment" bracket that comes with the kit, and modified (ground away a portion) of the pivot bracket to move it back a fair bit, which helps. I need to grind away some more, or fabricate my own bracket to make it perfect for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed the Kury Plug-n-Play on my 2012 wing. The mounting is pretty straight forward, no issues. I think it looks more like the material and markings of the original wing seat than the Utopia. To me, it looks better on the bike than the Utopia. It has a wide array of adjustments up, forward and backward. Just my personal opinion, there are several to choose from, pick the one YOU like with looks you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info on the Kuryakyn

I installed the Kury Plug-n-Play on my 2012 wing. The mounting is pretty straight forward, no issues. I think it looks more like the material and markings of the original wing seat than the Utopia. To me, it looks better on the bike than the Utopia. It has a wide array of adjustments up, forward and backward. Just my personal opinion, there are several to choose from, pick the one YOU like with looks you're looking for.
Any chance that you could post a photo of the installed backrest on your Wing?

Thanks for the reply!
~Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Show Chrome Smart Mount

I just purchased and installed a smart mount backrest for my 2002. It's well made, and installed easily, but it sits a little too forward for my taste (the utopia might be the same for all I know). I like to sit back in the "bucket" of the seat, and it forces me to sit a little forward of that. It probably doesn't help that I wear riding jackets with a back protection pad, and my spine sticks out a little in the thoracic area from some compression fractures. I've removed the "adjustment" bracket that comes with the kit, and modified (ground away a portion) of the pivot bracket to move it back a fair bit, which helps. I need to grind away some more, or fabricate my own bracket to make it perfect for me.
Could you post a photo of your finished installation?

Thanks so much,
~Todd

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
There is a picture of the backrest on the Kury website but at the price they are asking for a GL1800 I'll stick with Utopia. I haven't put one on my trike yet but had one on my '09 and never considered anything else. When I get my seat redone this fall it will get a Utopia on it.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
DON'T get a Utopia!

Every time this topic comes up, Utopia owners come out of the woodwork by the dozens with statements like:

*quality materials, workmanship, design

*durable over time

*Comfortable & micro-adjustable

*Doesn't interfere with passenger mounting/dismounting/riding

etc., etc., etc.

What is it with these people? They sound like a bunch of satisfied customers who are glad that they have a Utopia backrest and hope that others will be too.

Buy something else. Don't follow the bleating herd, like I did.

I've had my Utopia on my '02 Wing for over 10 years.
It still looks like new.
Only took me one try to get it adjusted perfectly. I've ridden 1200+ mile days in comfort, my wife doesn't even know it's there.

Sure wish I'd ignored all the satisfied Utopia owners and bought something... Different.

NOT!

Enjoy whatever you choose.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, I am not considering the Kuryakyn with the external hardware, but the NEW Kuryakyn 8931 Plug-N-Go is set-up similar to the Utopia (internally mounted). Does anyone have experience with this new Kuryakyn?
For $100 more and probably made in China like most other Kury stuff? I'll stick with my Utopia, it's the original and IMHO the best.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
What few Kury products I've bought have been lacking in quality and I just avoid them now...

The Utopia is $100 cheaper, is of fine quality, and I've had one for years, no regrets and wouldn't want the bike without it. There is NO ONE here who's going to tell you to avoid the Utopia.

The new Kury backrest may be fine... but you won't go wrong with the Utopia.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
What few Kury products I've bought have been lacking in quality and I just avoid them now...

The Utopia is $100 cheaper, is of fine quality, and I've had one for years, no regrets and wouldn't want the bike without it. There is NO ONE here who's going to tell you to avoid the Utopia.

The new Kury backrest may be fine... but you won't go wrong with the Utopia.
Not necessarily so. I won't give that company any of my money.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Many, many posts asking the same question and the answer is always the same: Utopia.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts