GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really did it (again), my hard drive went out and here I sit without a current backup. Compounding the error, I managed to wipe out my 3 mo old backup.

Anyhow, I had installed a program for keeping track of your mc records and I'd like to try to get hold of it again. I think it was DriversLog from ShaneStump and he had offered it to all of us free as a Christmas present.

I've done several searches on the board but can't find the messages offering it.

If anybody has a copy of it they could email to me or knows where I can download it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jay
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
HAd the same problem recently and contacted Shane.. He no longer has it avail for download due to hosting issues and he's moved on to other projects..
I happened to have a backup of the actual directory though and was able to run it from a copy on the new machine!! Unlike a lot of other programs, this one was designed to run on a memory card therefore doen't require a formal install!!! If you have a copy of the program directory and your data file, you have all you need to run!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If someone else wants to "host" the program on their web site, I give permission to them. I will even provide a generic key to enable the program.

The only warning I give to anyone who might consider this offer is that some people EXPECT unreasonable things when something is FREE :shock:!

I do keep thinking about a web version of DL, but I wouldn't have time to even begin coding until 2008. So for now, I have just been buying a few domain names for it.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Kikker said:
What is the "Drivers Log"?
Drivers Log is a vehicle management software program I wrote in an attempt to get into the "motorcycle" market.

After two years, I gave up in trying to find a market for such a product. Too many people had very little need / appreciation for such a product.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Shane, I have been using your software for about 2 years now. Both of my bikes and both of my cars are tracked with the software. It was a good value when I bought it and still is.

I'd be more than happy to host the software for download if you can provide me with the latest version (either a CD or a location I can ftp it from).

Regards,
Dorian

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
ShaneStump said:
The only warning I give to anyone who might consider this offer is that some people EXPECT unreasonable things when something is FREE :shock:!
Too true.. Still using the fruits of your labors Shane.. It works great and is one of the few programs I'd miss if it weren't there!!! Every tank of gas, every farkle and every repair gets entered from a wicker basket on my dresser!!! I agree with Dorian, money well spent and it's a shame it didn't do better for you!! I know how much blood sweat and tears you put into programming and support!!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dorian,

I will need to find a way of getting it to you. The isp I use for mail service doesn't allow me to have a 20MB email attachment.

PumpkinWing,

Thanks for the patronage and kind words! I wish I could have succeeded, but DL wasn't meant to be!

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. Many people have asked me to reconsider releasing DL and continue developing it, but I cannot justify the time for the little to no return (I gave up my riding time in 2004 / 2005 and part of 2006 and that isn't going to happen again)!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Shane

I for one am very greatful to you for your efforts...I use it....and like it.

It would be great if someone could take over for you and just support it..

again

THANKS!!!!!!!!! :capwin: :yes1: :yes1:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
KYBLUE,

Thanks!

I doubt you will find anyone wanting to get involved in a consumer vehicle software program. The only way I could make any $$$ would be to sell it and NOT support / develop it. I don't want to go down that avenue. The charityware worked for a little bit but it doesn't work unless I actively come on the forums and mention it every two weeks or so.

Where I messed up is I should have did it as a web application because then I could have have gotten foot traffic to a web site for vendor advertising (the same principle as this website is for HDL) or I could have sold it as an add-on for various web shops.

I really wish I had the time to do it, but right now I need to get a product I started last year done so I can continue be to self-employed and afford my expensive hobby :D!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well, I have uploaded a new setup program for Drivers Log 3.19 that includes the DriversLog.key file.

Please note that this link will only be available for a short-time in order to give someone else the ability to have it available at another download site as my StumpWare.com is being switched over to just email here shortly.

www.StumpWare.com/DriversLogSetup_319.exe

Please remember that the price for FREE means no timely support, etc.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thanks Shane! I just downloaded it and will put it up at my website sometime over the weekend. I'll give you credit as the inventor/author and spell out to folks that tech support for any issues is not an option.

Should you have something lined up down the road that you would like me to link to, I would be honored.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
Thanks Shane! I just downloaded it and will put it up at my website sometime over the weekend. I'll give you credit as the inventor/author and spell out to folks that tech support for any issues is not an option.

Should you have something lined up down the road that you would like me to link to, I would be honored.

Thanks again!
Thank you for the help.

Right now other than domain names + ideas, I don't have a timeframe on the web version of DL. Hopefully before the next GLXXXX!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Driver's Log

Shane, thanks for making it available again, this time it will have its own backup. I'm sorry the program didn't meet your expections, but it must have been a good learning experience and showed you how you have to market if you try again.

Your description of your new project seems like a fitting challenge for someone with your talents and should be more viable. Good luck with it.

Jay

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: Driver's Log

bugsmasher said:
Shane, thanks for making it available again, this time it will have its own backup. I'm sorry the program didn't meet your expections, but it must have been a good learning experience and showed you how you have to market if you try again.

Your description of your new project seems like a fitting challenge for someone with your talents and should be more viable. Good luck with it.

Jay

Thanks Jay.

But the only way for DL to have market is for me to get the vendors involved. This little bit of excitement you see for DL will dissipate as soon as this thread dies. I should have did it as a web application from the beginning.

I am already started talking with a few dealers / vendors who have been friendly towards some of my ideas and I am going to continue talking with them as I have time. Something may come of the project, or maybe not.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shane -

Do those of us who purchased the program while it was available, still have tech support? My subscription renewal date is for 12-31-2040. Will you still work with e-mails that the program generates?

I don't have a GW yet (coming the end of April), but it works great for my '86 Shadow for the time that I have had the program.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts