GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've looked a bit and the solutions out there to lower the drives peg height by a bit seems poor...

I've been using this on my BMW for years.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html

They make them for a K bike as well.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1600GTLpass.html

Basically just a nice piece of machined metal that use the existing foot pegs but drop them down and out just a smidgeon. I was riding a buddies 2007 GL this weekend and noticed there was just enough of a distance more to the footpeg than mine to make all the difference in the world. Note - I have the 2018 bagger non-tour, so maybe that's a tad lower? Even 1/2 inch might make all the difference in the world.

The suburban ones are rock solid. I will stand up on the bike when I'm riding to stretch my legs and I've always trusted the pegs with the suburban to hold my weight. The ones I've seen out there for the wing do not seem like that would be all that sturdy... But I could be wrong.

Note - I messaged Suburban machinery to make something like these for the gold wing. I'd be first in line to buy them... I did in fact try to switch my RT set over to the wing. They are *Darn* close to fitting except the spring fitment is different on the two bikes. I still may try to fiddle some more...

But is someone knows of a similar solution.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had a pair of Kuryakyn Gloss Black Comfort Drop Mini Boards #7564 on my 2013 F6B and liked those a lot on that bike. Reading here that the same boards would fit my 2018 Bagger with minor modification to allow them to fold up as they did on the F6B I bit the bullet and ordered a pair.

If you have a bench grinder the modification is pretty simple. I ground the offending material off of the Male Mini Board component that slides into the Honda Female attach point. This allowed the board to tilt up about 2 inches with the board mounted in the Full Forward position. As you move the Board to the Center and Rear positions the amount that the board can Tilt Up is reduced significantly.

I literally tried the boards mounted in about 20 different positions and or angles (the boards can be rotated). I have a 34 inch inseam and found the most comfortable position to be in the Full Forward position and angled downward one notch (about 8 degrees down). This was very comfortable and allowed me quite a range of foot positions Fore and Aft.

The biggest issue with the Mini Boards for me was the very limited rear brake pedal adjustment on the 2018 Goldwing. Because I take extended trips in cold weather I typically have the brake pedal adjusted so I can place the ball of my boot on top of the pedal without actually applying brake. This allows me to keep the toe of my boot tucked in behind the faring and better protected from the cold and elements.

I also noticed that with the Mini Boards installed in the Forward Most position and angled downward 8 degrees that the toes of both my boots were positioned below the underside of the bikes front faring. This led me to consider what effect this might have while riding multiple hours in the 20's and 30's as I've done on winter trips to Florida.

Yes, I did re-position the boards to resolve the above two issues but then I'm basically back to where I was with the Stock pegs for the most part. And lastly the 2018 is simply more compact compared to the F6B. To my eye the Mini Boards which looked like they were meant for the F6B just did not have the same visual appeal on the 2018 IMO.

So after all of the above I dug into my box of a few left over F6B parts and found the original Honda Rider Pegs for that bike. I was expecting them to be identical to the 2018 pegs but no. The F6B pegs are about 25% wider and feel quite different under the foot by comparison. So for me, I think I'll be riding with the F6B pegs this winter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug for the long well-thought out reply.

Part of my hesitation with anything aftermarket that I've looked at is similar to what you said. They all look.. well.. not nice on the bike. I'm happy with pegs, I don't want a big ass footboard. :). Plus the I just want them a smidgeon lower. The Suburban ones are actually perfect. The lower the peg about an inch and move it forward just a tad whilst using the factory peg.

I just looked up the Mini boards. I see now now the adjustment is I think (at least forward/back and tilt)

So 2 questions
Did you feel they were strong enough to stand on?

2nd
Are the F6B pegs lower than the Wing non-tour pegs?..

I've been looking for something for a week now. I can't believe this is so hard to find...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks Doug for the long well-thought out reply.

Part of my hesitation with anything aftermarket that I've looked at is similar to what you said. They all look.. well.. not nice on the bike. I'm happy with pegs, I don't want a big ass footboard. :). Plus the I just want them a smidgeon lower. The Suburban ones are actually perfect. The lower the peg about an inch and move it forward just a tad whilst using the factory peg.

I just looked up the Mini boards. I see now now the adjustment is I think (at least forward/back and tilt)

So 2 questions
Did you feel they were strong enough to stand on?

2nd
Are the F6B pegs lower than the Wing non-tour pegs?..

I've been looking for something for a week now. I can't believe this is so hard to find...
I had these same boards on my F6B for 5 years and they are plenty strong to stand on. It was my habit to mount the bike by stepping up on the left floorboard and throwing my right leg over the seat. So you can stand on these just like you do the stock pegs.

The F6B pegs are 25% wider but sit at the same height as the stock 2018+ pegs. I did have to file about 1/8 of an inch off the travel stops on the F6B pegs so they would fold down and forward enough to be perpendicular to the bikes longitudinal axis.

I remember when I test rode 3 different 2018's for a total of about 2 hours. Afterwards I got back on my F6B and remember thinking the F6B faring is Massive by comparison. The immediate contrast I drew between the F6B and 2018 was that I was Riding The F6B and that I was At One with the 2018.

For long distance cold weather riding you have to more or less tuck yourself into and become one with the 2018+ faring for maximum wind & weather protection. I just found the Mini Boards although very comfortable were placing my toes outside that protective envelope.

The Mini Boards do give the rider a lower foot position and a larger range of foot positions fore and aft on the 2018+ no doubt. If you don't typically ride in foul weather, then having your toes below the faring or to the side of the faring to clear the brake pedal will not be an issue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Let us know if Suburban or anyone else comes up with a decent solution for for you. I too could use a "slightly" lower footpeg

·
Registered
496 Posts
Saw these on a 2003 Goldwing Trike. They were made by RoadSmith. Not sure if these are available for a newer Goldwing yet. It moved the feet down and forward. Looked really nice but it was expensive. Not sure how much it might drag on a 2 Wheeler. Here is a link and some info off their site. I'd never heard of these before seeing them.

http://www.trikeshop.com/news/4192012/

Roadsmith Introduces All-New Comfort Controls™
Available Now!
New Gold Wing Controls Dramatically Improve Ride Position

The most common complaint for any Gold Wing rider has always been the cramped seating and peg position on the iconic touring machine. While arguably the most comfortable long-distance touring motorcycle on the market, the Gold Wing has always come up short on leg room, especially for those riders with a longer in-seam.

Enter our new Roadsmith Comfort ControlsTM for Gold Wing motorcycles built from 2001 to current. Although nearly unnoticeable when installed, the new controls actually move both foot pegs and the brake and shift levers forward 3 inches and down 1 inch using a collection of machined parts and linkages that bolt on to the bike. The result is one that must be felt to believe, and provides an incredibly improved riding position that will now allow Gold Wing riders to realize the long-distance cruising potential of their machines without the aches and pains of cramped legs and knees.

Comfort ControlsTM are available for both Gold Wing motorcycles, as well as trikes, and have little effect on the cornering clearance of the motorcycle. In addition to more comfortable seating, the newly positioned controls also move the foot pegs forward enough to allow much quicker and easier access to the ground for your feet when coming to a stop. This accessory works well with floorboards and heel/toe shifters such as Kuryakyn part #4038.

"In the past, on long rides, my knees would become very stiff and sore, sometimes to the point that holding my bike up at stops was very difficult. At the last Wing Ding in Fort Wayne, IN, we had Comfort Controls installed on our 2010 Goldwing. We had a 750 mile trip home from Fort Wayne, and my knees were much better. For me, this was a night and day difference! I would recommend these relocated pegs to anyone having knee pain while riding."

Lance Brozek
Asst. Region E Director

See More Testimonials Here

The price is $699 for the set and typical shop installation rates should run around $100. If you have any questions about Comfort ControlsTM please contact Roadsmith at 800-331-0705 or email [email protected]

Here are some photos of the Comfort Controls following installation (some with covers removed to better show the inner workings of the product).

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get a reply from the folks over at Suburban Machinery. It's a pretty small family shop. They have no desire to anything for the wing, they are strictly BMW. I told him it was a shame, they were missing a real market opportunity.

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I wouldn't think lowering the pegs on this new Wing is a good idea.

This bike does not really have a great clearance for whiping around corners as is, plus the dampening of the suspension leaves something to be desired for the hot-rodder type...not that 3 thousand dollars worth of Traxxion won't cure it.

I am definitely not what you would call and aggressive rider though I am known to take a mean lean occasionally on curves that I am familiar with. I mostly do it to learn and practice should I ever enter a corner too hot...well, I actually scraped the bottom of the plastic engine guard cover on the left side. That was not good!!...I feel: If I can can do that, good riders would easily catch the engine guard on the road

Reactions: hulkss

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Second the motion on the Kury Comfort Drop. I'm 6'4", and they did the job for me. You can attached different boards to them, or just put the stock pegs back on..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Second the motion on the Kury Comfort Drop. I'm 6'4", and they did the job for me. You can attached different boards to them, or just put the stock pegs back on..
What's a Kury Comfort Drop.??? Is that what Doug had mentioned? You can use the stock pegs? Can you post a link please? I don't see anything like that for the 2018+ wings, just older.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
What's a Kury Comfort Drop.??? Is that what Doug had mentioned? You can use the stock pegs? Can you post a link please? I don't see anything like that for the 2018+ wings, just older.

Thanks
Mike
As I described earlier in this thread, you have to grind off a relatively small amount of material from the male mount that is bolted to each Mini Board. This allows the boards to Fold Upwards on the 2018+ should you contact the road surface in a turn.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4307/premium-mini-boards-with-comfort-drop-mounts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Saw these on a 2003 Goldwing Trike. They were made by RoadSmith. Not sure if these are available for a newer Goldwing yet. It moved the feet down and forward. Looked really nice but it was expensive. Not sure how much it might drag on a 2 Wheeler. Here is a link and some info off their site. I'd never heard of these before seeing them.

http://www.trikeshop.com/news/4192012/

Roadsmith Introduces All-New Comfort Controls™
Available Now!
New Gold Wing Controls Dramatically Improve Ride Position

The most common complaint for any Gold Wing rider has always been the cramped seating and peg position on the iconic touring machine. While arguably the most comfortable long-distance touring motorcycle on the market, the Gold Wing has always come up short on leg room, especially for those riders with a longer in-seam.

Enter our new Roadsmith Comfort ControlsTM for Gold Wing motorcycles built from 2001 to current. Although nearly unnoticeable when installed, the new controls actually move both foot pegs and the brake and shift levers forward 3 inches and down 1 inch using a collection of machined parts and linkages that bolt on to the bike. The result is one that must be felt to believe, and provides an incredibly improved riding position that will now allow Gold Wing riders to realize the long-distance cruising potential of their machines without the aches and pains of cramped legs and knees.

Comfort ControlsTM are available for both Gold Wing motorcycles, as well as trikes, and have little effect on the cornering clearance of the motorcycle. In addition to more comfortable seating, the newly positioned controls also move the foot pegs forward enough to allow much quicker and easier access to the ground for your feet when coming to a stop. This accessory works well with floorboards and heel/toe shifters such as Kuryakyn part #4038.

"In the past, on long rides, my knees would become very stiff and sore, sometimes to the point that holding my bike up at stops was very difficult. At the last Wing Ding in Fort Wayne, IN, we had Comfort Controls installed on our 2010 Goldwing. We had a 750 mile trip home from Fort Wayne, and my knees were much better. For me, this was a night and day difference! I would recommend these relocated pegs to anyone having knee pain while riding."

Lance Brozek
Asst. Region E Director

See More Testimonials Here

The price is $699 for the set and typical shop installation rates should run around $100. If you have any questions about Comfort ControlsTM please contact Roadsmith at 800-331-0705 or email [email protected]

Here are some photos of the Comfort Controls following installation (some with covers removed to better show the inner workings of the product).
I added Comfort Controls to my 2015 Gold Wing Level III prior to my Alaska Trip and they lowered the rider pegs and foot controls by one inch, and moved them forward by three inches. Absolutely great for my 34inch inseam. However, Comfort Controls are not yet available for the 2018+ Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour. I sent RoadSmith an email a while back asking if they were going to develop Comfort Controls for the new Gold Wings and never received a response.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I described earlier in this thread, you have to grind off a relatively small amount of material from the male mount that is bolted to each Mini Board. This allows the boards to Fold Upwards on the 2018+ should you contact the road surface in a turn.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4307/premium-mini-boards-with-comfort-drop-mounts
Thanks Doug,
I got that from your earlier post ok. I was just unaware you could use stock pegs with these as the previous poster suggested? Not sure how I see that working from looking at them.. but.. I don't claim to know everything :). In any case, looking forward to trying these....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I added Comfort Controls to my 2015 Gold Wing Level III prior to my Alaska Trip and they lowered the rider pegs and foot controls by one inch, and moved them forward by three inches. Absolutely great for my 34inch inseam. However, Comfort Controls are not yet available for the 2018+ Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour. I sent RoadSmith an email a while back asking if they were going to develop Comfort Controls for the new Gold Wings and never received a response.
Thanks Steve,
Interesting concept, I wonder how it would effect shifting on the new bike. I will say, if I have to drop 800ish bucks just to move some controls, I should probably look for a different bike.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks Doug,
I got that from your earlier post ok. I was just unaware you could use stock pegs with these as the previous poster suggested? Not sure how I see that working from looking at them.. but.. I don't claim to know everything :). In any case, looking forward to trying these....
The previous poster may have been suggesting you could purchase the Kury Splined Adapter to fit the Goldwing and then bolt a variety of different Kury pegs and boards to the splined adapter. Kury makes a ton of splined adapters to fit many different bikes. Unfortunately they do not seem to sell the Comfort Drop splined adapter (which comes with the Comfort Drop Mini Boards) separately ??

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4788/splined-peg-adapters

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks Steve,
Interesting concept, I wonder how it would effect shifting on the new bike. I will say, if I have to drop 800ish bucks just to move some controls, I should probably look for a different bike.
An interesting concept indeed, and for me, very functional. Just looking at the concept it doesn't appear that it would take much to develop a set for a DCT equipped bike, but time will tell!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just a suggestion: until you find a way to lower your pegs, you might try raising your seating position. I have a long inseam myself, and I found that an AirHawk cushion AND a fleece pad raised my position just enough to relax my legs. I’d love to have lower pegs, but until somebody sells them...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts