GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my '04 GL1800, 1600 miles, 6 weeks old, from the dealer replacing the seal and O ring on the drive shaft. We waited 7 working days for the parts, and the repair was done on the seventh day! My main complaint; is I could not ride the bike for this period and they should have had these inexpensive parts in their inventory. They said this is the first time for these parts to fail on a GL1800! My question I'm throwing out there is this; has anybody heard of these seals leaking on a GL1800????

I do not intend on carrying this any further unless Honda contacts me on this matter. I'm just hoping the leak is fixed!

RJ....aka....Whitefang

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had the front brake lightn switch go out.One of the more apt to failparts on the bike. Ten minuet repair, but no parts available, had to order.
Hell around here unless you want Lops you have to order tires.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi RJ,

Picked my '04 up in late September. It had the exact same problem. I noticed some type of fluid leaking all over the rear-wheel on the right side. The O-ring was folded over on one edge during assembly and it caused the leak. The mechanic showed me the folded part. It looked more like a cup-type washer than a standard O-ring.

My bike has 7800 miles on it and suffered no ill-effects from the problem.

Unlike your situation, my dealer improvised a pad (they called it a maxi-pad) from a shop towel and a couple of zip ties. Since the final drive oil was not leaking too badly they told me to keep an eye on it and make sure it didn't get soaked and I'd be ok riding it until the part came in. It took about 5 days.

Regarding on-hand parts, my dealer doesn't stock every item either. I seriously doubt the part that failed on my Wing wears out much. The failure was due to a flawed assembly. Inventory costs money and except for the most used parts, most dealers prefer to order as needed.

Pat

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discs

I have 2Kmiles on my month old '04 and checked the runout on my discs because of an annoying shuff shuff sound. The front left one is .013" (which is beyond the service limit). The seat was not properly installed, found plastic clips all over the tank too (still wondering where they all go), and when I installed the Aux cable I noticed that the left wiring harness was not clipped to the frame properly. I am blind in my left eye and my feet stink. The transmission seeks between 3rd, 4th and overdrive under power. A big gouge on the front rim upon delivery, scratches on various components, and the window vent was not properly assembled either. The dealer is `chaffing' about fixing all of this. My mother dresses me funny. The left and right scuttles are missing the grommets too! I am not overly impressed with Honda's quality Control.

Every time I buy a new vehicle I get a *&^% &%$#$% lemon! (Only *new* vehicle I have ever owned that was 100% reliable was a Russian Made Lada)

Love driving this deathtrap though!!! :) fast, comfy and `integrated'

For the same price I could have bought an '04 Rustang Cage with a V8, there is something wrong with me ... 26 years of ridin' and I still don't know why I *love* bikes ...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: Discs

salyzyn said:
For the same price I could have bought an '04 Rustang Cage with a V8, there is something wrong with me ... 26 years of ridin' and I still don't know why I *love* bikes ...
Should of got the V8. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drive shaft seal

Had the drive shaft seal leak almost all the oil from the final drive at about 8,000 miles. Repaired under warranty at the same time they did the ECM. 11,000 miles now and no leak. Silver '02.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love the "CBC". Just got back from the Florida District Rally in Kissimmee. I was stuck in some AWFUL traffic around Disney World and the temps. were in the mid 80's with no over-heating problems noted.

Great rally with lots of vendors ... just not the best riding venues. Looking forward to our Georgia District Rally. The riding is great up in the Georgia mountains with quick and easy assess to "The Smokies", the "Blue Ridge Pkwy.". and the "Cherohala Skyway"!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts