GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my driving light bulbs on my 1800 only last a couple of months...its a pain to replace them because of the fact you have to R&R the lower cowl.

Does anyone have luck with bulbs lasting longer than the ShowChrome standard 55 w? Are the more expensieve PIAA bulbs worth the price.

Any suggestions and/or comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Never had to replace my Honda line driving lights yet, got them in 06, 48,000 miles ago.

BTW, they are 35 watt.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If I were to ride at night, I'd go the PID route, but I don't. The whole reason I put the fog lights in my bike was to be seen, not to see. I run the 55W in mine and have had to replace them twice in 77K. I always do both as if one is shot, the other is not far behind.

The 35W bulbs may last a little longer due to less heat to dissipate.

Maybe check the mounting and make sure they are secure. Halogen bulbs don't like shock and vibration. My GS eats em but gets harder use than the Wing. I have the same lights on both.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Look for ones made in Germany...NOT in China. Next month makes 4 years of continuous use on mine. If the bike's running, the cowl lights are on. I've used Chinese headlight bulbs that have only lasted a couple of months.

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I thought the factory wiring was limited to 35 watt bulbs???:shrug:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I thought the factory wiring was limited to 35 watt bulbs???:shrug:
You are correct. I'm not using factory wiring.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I switched from 55 watt to 35 watt years ago. I can't remember when I had to change one after that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts