GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now is the time to buy and install with bad weather in Texas, I have
read all of the postings for the fog/driving lights with various problems but no conclusion. Problems with bulbs burning out quiet offten, switch being replaced may times (not water proof) and relay problems. Has anyone seen a final conclusion on these issues?? Also does the PIAA Light Kit have the same problems?
Thanks in advance for your help.
George

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have the EC Platinum series lights and have been very pleased with them. They're three years old now and each bulb has burned out once.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
I don't have fog lights. They can't hurt and the EC seem to be the best. More lights make you more visable to cages.
The long distance guys seem to like the PIAA. Either way you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
74 Posts
fog lights

I've had the oem fog lights on my '01 since new and never had a single problem. Absolutely love the extra light they produce. I guess here on the site you hear more about problems than about the bazillion lights that work as they should ..........Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just sold my 2003 with Big Bike/Show Chrome lights. I had to replace 2 bulbs in 1 side and 1 in the other. The guy I ride a lot with has Honda lights with over 90,000 miles and still the original bulbs. The bike I have now has the EC lights. I have less than 1,000 on it. I like the EC lights and have heard good things about how long they last.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had EC'S on mine for 18 months and had 1 bulb blow last month. I went ahead and replaced both since I had to take the cowling off anyway. I love their illumination.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the Honda Factory lights. They are really good for.... Oh yeah - they are good for other people seeing you. Tey are pretty worthless for illumination. I'd do the EC if I did it again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I installed the EC Platinum. These are much brighter than most, if not all the others mounted here. (The PIAA's are probably a good choice too.) It really makes the bike stand out to other drivers, most of whom are not 'looking' for a motorcycle. At night the road is lit up to my satisfaction but I consider the driving lights to be an important safety item. I also use the EC fused power block. The relay cuts out all the extra load (which is mainly the 2-55 w lights) for starting.

·
Registered
761 Posts
George - Here is something for you to consider. In my opinion the GL1800 has outstanding headlights. They put lots of light on the road. I wanted to make myself more visible to oncoming traffic. I install the fog lights in the lower cowl. I then got the amber lens protector. This makes the bike really stand out on the road. It does not put more light on the road but it does make it more noticeable. After I got my lights from EC they came out with the LED version made specifically for my application. It does not put light on the road but it does put more lights on the front of the bike. I would highly recommend the amber version that you can get from EC. Plus they are less expensive and should last a lifetime. http://www.electricalconnection.com/dri ... 00-led.htm

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the Honda Line lights on my wing. They are four years old now and I have never had a problem. I use them all the time they only turn off when I put the high beams on and I very seldom ride at night. I haven't even replaced any bulbs yet. I know Honda Line lights are WAY over priced according to some board members but you get what you pay for.

Pap

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Ditto on the amber lens covers. The fog lights are so low that they really don't do a lot to light up the road, but are more of a visibility factor for oncoming traffic. The amber lens covers really seem to make the bike stand out more.

I also am using EC lights, and have over 100k miles on them. I have had to change each bulb only once and I never turn them off.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You mentioned the PIAA lights.....I run with a pair of 1100X something or other mounted up under the fairing. Not bad, but I do seem to blow lights pretty regular. I only use them as high beams, so they aren't on all that much. When they do go, it is about thirty-four dollars for a replacement.

I also have a pair of PIAA 910s. These are true 110 watt lights (each) and I had exactly one bulb go in about 40,000 miles. Again, these are high beam only, so the mileage may not mean much. What I do like about the PIAA 910s are that they take a regular H-3 bulb..about four bucks...No problem at all with relays or switches in about 75K miles...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the EC Platnum Series mostly because they come with an OEM style switch. I am very happy with them. I chose not to install the lens covers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The fog lights are so low that they really don't do a lot to light up the road, but are more of a visibility factor for oncoming traffic.
That's what I thought, too. Until I went out onto a totally dark road and turned off the driving lights, and realized how much they illuminate the sides of the road. When riding out in the canyons, what's coming off the side of the road is sometimes the biggest threat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the Big Bike/Show Chrome foglights in mine, and they seem to work very well. The really do light the edges of the traffic lane very well for you. They certainly aren't driving lights. If I start doing some cross-country, and IBA rides. I will probably get driving lights too.
I bought my bike used, and the R. foglight was out when I bought it, but the dealer replaced it when I picked it up, and with only 4500 miles since I bought it, I can't comment on bulb life.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My 2002 GL1800 I installed the Big Bike driving lights... when I sold it
in 2005 - 51,000 miles later... the original bulbs & switches were still in it.. my 2005 has Big Bike lights also... I like the idea of "plug & play" its an easy install.. and the light brackets are mounted to the bike engine and adjustment is a snap..
both the bulbs and lense are replaceable if ever needed.. price is very reasonable.. I give the Big Bike light driving lights a 10...

cosmic

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the Platinum Series

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,104 Posts
I have the Tulsa fog lights for the last 4 years now. I run them all the time to be seen better and because I like the way the bike looks from the front with the fog lights on. The Tulsa fog lights which include the stainless light mounts, light housing, switch and relay have been problem free. I have had a bulb burn out a few times but it's no big deal to replace a light bulb. It's been two years now without a bulb burning out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts