GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed a lens on the factory Honda driving lights ? One of mine has a small hole from a rock strike. It has a small piece of glass inside. I used a rock chip windshield repair kit from Wally world, but you can see still see it.

I found the replacement lens online. But when I flipped the 2 metal clamps back to release the lens the lens didn't come loose.

They appear to have a gasket between the lens and the housing that has bonded the lens and body together quite well. I know just the slightest touch with a flat blade screwdriver will result in total destruction of the whole light.

Any ideas ???????????????????

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, you can spend a whole lot of time trying to replace the lense or you can buy a new one for about $30 / and a week for dealer to get (2 years ago)and take a half hour to replace it. It's not a gasket, it a sealant that once you get the lense apart you will have to clean off, reapply, and hope you get a waterproof seal. You might also want to get the plastic covers that protect the lenses. Another half hour and that shouldn't happen again.

But as always this is my $0.02 from trying the same thing and I am sure one of the near experts on here will tell you otherwise because 3 or 4 hours of their time is more important that the convenience.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
You'll have to remove the glass then dig the sealant out. Lens available from Big Bike for about $7. (If you have the Hondaline standard driving lights.) Use clear silicone to reinstall.

Hair dryer/heat gun will help loosen the sealant. Removing light housing from bike makes it easier to work on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts