GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a separate fuse block. Right now my driving lights are connected directly to the baterry +/- and have a relay in line. Do I need to keep the relay if I run the power for the lights to a switched circuit on the fuse block? I've been running wires all day and my brain is tired

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You need the relay if the wire going to the switch (and the switch itself) is too small to carry the full current the lights will draw.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Use relay trigger off the accessory 5 amp. terminal to send battery power to your lights. Prevent accidently leaving them on and and draining your battery. Also prevents over loading other switched circuits.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Do you want the driving lights on ALL THE TIME when the key is on?

If yes, then as long as there's enough amps in your accessory fuse block, you could skip the relay (and the switch). But that's a bold choice.

Normally, you'd put a switch in to control the lights on/off. Needs a relay. Put the switch on the low amps side, and run the wire you're thinking about running straight through via the high amps side of the relay to control the lights independent of the ignition.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
A relay is always a good idea for controlling a switched circuit, unless the electrical load is small.

·
Vendor
16,372 Posts
You need the relay if the wire going to the switch (and the switch itself) is too small to carry the full current the lights will draw.
Like thumper says, which in this case means yes ... you need a relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts