GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new lower cowling from Honda (warranty replacement for peeling paint). I have bee using EC’s driving lights but I’m not thrilled with the way they mount – burning a hole in the plastic. Is there another good choice that mounts a different way. Maybe something that mounts to the frame of the bike? I’d like to stay away from the Hondaline products if I can. There might be some EC lights for sale soon.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have an older style EC that mounts on brackets to the front of the engine/frame and not on the plastic cover. You might give EC a call and see if they have any of the old style mounts left. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It would not take much to mount them to the front of the engine as there are bolt holes there I have 1 busted EC light & when I replace it I may make me some mounts...chuck.....( I can be RICH...CW'S EC'S relocating mount kit!! :D :D :roll: )....... :oops: :oops: :oops: maybe not

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have a set of the EC Platinum lights. They mount to the plastic cowling. If done correctly, there is no problem. They are tight, secure, and don't move around. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Show chrome and Big Bike lights mount like Hondaline and cost half the price. They utilize all existing harnesses built into the bike. You can usually get them at a discount on ebay. I've used auto trim around the light cutouts on the cowl. and that closes the space between the cowl and lights.

mike
03ILB

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Apparently there are two differnt mounting systems for the EC's. I did not know that when I bought mine. Mine has the two spring system - and it pretty well sucks. I made my own system. I'd look into the system he offers on the more expensive models. In the future, I will use (or make) a braket that mounts them to the engine or frame or whatever is back there (just not the cowling).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fired an e-mail off to EC. They only have the 4 spring mounting system. Has anyone mounted the EC's any other way? If so do you have pics and a description of how you did it?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Mikalbike said:
Show chrome and Big Bike lights mount like Hondaline and cost half the price. They utilize all existing harnesses built into the bike. You can usually get them at a discount on ebay. I've used auto trim around the light cutouts on the cowl. and that closes the space between the cowl and lights.

mike
03ILB
I have the Showchrome lights also. No trouble and work great. I recently installed Showchrome’s lens protectors and they filled in the gap nicely between the light and the cowl. I was showing these off to a friend and he pointed out that Honda has a nice set of lens protectors available now that attach to the outside of the cowling.

Apparently there have been some reports of the Showchrome style lens protectors causing too much heat to build up melting the protector and discoloring the driving lights. I haven't had the problem, but I've only had the protectors installed for a few weeks.

I bought the Hondaline lens protectors and will install them soon.

They look a lot better to me (installed on another bike) than the Showchromes with the round 3m stickers holding them in place.

Hondaline Foglight Lens Protectors 08V31-MCA-100B $64.95

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do the Show Chrome lights mount? Do they attach to the fairing or frame?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
winger63 said:
How do the Show Chrome lights mount? Do they attach to the fairing or frame?
To the frame. They are nearly identical to the Hondaline lights.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
pshivers said:
Mikalbike said:

mike
03ILB
I have the Showchrome lights also. No trouble and work great. I recently installed Showchrome’s lens protectors and they filled in the gap nicely between the light and the cowl. I was showing these off to a friend and he pointed out that Honda has a nice set of lens protectors available now that attach to the outside of the cowling.

Apparently there have been some reports of the Showchrome style lens protectors causing too much heat to build up melting the protector and discoloring the driving lights. I haven't had the problem, but I've only had the protectors installed for a few weeks.

I bought the Hondaline lens protectors and will install them soon.

They look a lot better to me (installed on another bike) than the Showchromes with the round 3m stickers holding them in place.

Hondaline Foglight Lens Protectors 08V31-MCA-100B $64.95
I can tell you that the EC lights I have get hotter than holy hell. I like the looks of the covers, but am afraid to use them. I'd advice anyone to check the heat first before installing covers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
azjerry, that brand won't work for me because I have Baker Handwings on.

jjsC6, I've had the EC's on for about 18 months and I put the Show Crome light protectors on. They do get hot but I haven't had any discoloration.

If anyone had ideas for mounting the EC's to the frame let me know.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I had the EC's with the old bracket system on my 02. For me they were difficult to mount,and a pain in the a$$ to aim.
When I put them on my 04,they came with the 4 spring mount.I like that a lot.The four springs on each light hold the light securely,and theyare aimed right where I want them.
In fact,just yesterday I changed my cowl mounted them in the new cowl with the four spring mounts.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
winger63 said:
I fired an e-mail off to EC. They only have the 4 spring mounting system. Has anyone mounted the EC's any other way? If so do you have pics and a description of how you did it?
I don't have a picture, but the Platinum Series I have (purchased Feb '04) use an "L" bracket bolted to the engine with a "U" bracket attached to the "L" bracket for light, with slots for adusting to fit the cowl hole and depth in the cowl.

EC may have changed the actual light housing also...mine have threaded holes on each side for this bracket mount....the newer spring mount lights...I don't have a clue.

The mounts would not be difficult to fab. PM me if you want me to shoot a copy of what I have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts