GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rigging out an 05 I bought last year but havent ridden. Hurricanes got us too busy this past year. I havnt bought or installed aftermarket items since my 2003 gl1800. I remember some of the driving light manufactors had problems with units. Last ones I had were Tulsa. I dont see that they sell them anymore. Can you guys catch me up on who has the least problems in driving lights. I am looking at a set of PIAA X004 but the mounting is an issue. Been away too long. Can you imagine an 05 with only 4000 miles on it? Thats where I am, but soon to change that.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I use EC as well, but mine are the LED amber lights. Very easy to install, and look very good. These are to "been seen", not for more light onto the roadway. Low wattage requirements are easy on the battery.

·
Registered
747 Posts
EC lights work well

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EC lights

from what I am seeing EC is the only high quality light distrib. left. I dont trust big bike or show chrome. Iwill email them for some info.
thanks for the direction.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SAME people

you say Big Bike, Show Chrome and EC are the same people. That is news to me.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
No, Big bike and show chrome are the same.

EC and Lewis and one of a Kind :lol: :lol:

Tulsa quite selling lights????? I ain't been on the Hawg that long, have I???

·
Registered
9 Posts
HONDA FOG LIGHTS

I PURCHASED A SET OF HONDA FOG LIGHTS OFF EBAY. THEY ARE NEW BUT O1 LIGHTS, HAVE THEY CHANGED THEIR LIGHTS, ARE THESE ANY GOOD????

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Re: HONDA FOG LIGHTS

UNCLENNN said:
I PURCHASED A SET OF HONDA FOG LIGHTS OFF EBAY. THEY ARE NEW BUT O1 LIGHTS, HAVE THEY CHANGED THEIR LIGHTS, ARE THESE ANY GOOD????
Same as the Big Bike kit, except the BB kit is at least $100 less. :?

Yes they are good lights. They are 35 watters though.

What you bought will fit whatever 1800 you have. The only catch is the Air Bagger model needs a different switch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got the EC's. Fairly easy to install and the Platinum Series come with the "stock" switch. I've had them on since June and have been very happy with them. Make sure to install the protective covers.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts

UNCLENNN said:
The mounting hardware for the Honda driving lights is better than the aftermarket systems. It is a beefy metal bracket that attaches to the bike (not the cowl). It has vertical and horizontal beam alignment screws. It also has rubber isolators to reduce the effect of vibration on the lights.

But the Honda lights are only 35W, most aftermarket are 55W. It would seem you could just replace the bulbs with higher wattage ones, but the Honda switch and wiring are not designed to handle the higher current draw.

After an accident in '03, my EC driving lights were replaced with Hondas. The shop re-used my EC wiring and switch, so I was able to simply replace the 35W bulbs with 55's.

In 5 years and 70,000 miles, I've only had one driving light go out, so it's hard to say if the mounting system has any effect on bulb life.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have the Ec Platinum Series. I run 100 watt bulbs with the Amber lens. People can defintley see me. There are peopleon this board that can attest to that. I can also see the shoulder of the roads very well with the way I have them adjusted. The only draw back to using the 100 watt bulbs is I have had to replace the lens due to heat building up while doing alot of stop and go in the summer time. They warp a little bit. I am on my 2nd set of lens now for 4 months. They still look perfect. Some people might give me crap for running 100 watters but I want to be seen. DDking is a good example.

Steve S on the board just had them installed on his 06. He has a rubber seal going around the lens to the lower cowl. I wonder if Lewis has added this.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts

kperson said:
The mounting hardware for the Honda driving lights is better than the aftermarket systems. It is a beefy metal bracket that attaches to the bike (not the cowl). It has vertical and horizontal beam alignment screws. It also has rubber isolators to reduce the effect of vibration on the lights.
Unless you know something different than I do, the Hondaline and Big Bike sets are the same except a couple of markings. BB and Hondaline only have one adjusting screw.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Steve S on the board just had them installed on his 06. He has a rubber seal going around the lens to the lower cowl. I wonder if Lewis has added this.
Lewis did add that rubber seal piece and it works very well. Allows the lights to be adjusted/pointed where you want them. I have the EC LED lights. Theyare low watt, but are easily seen I believe. A snap to install.
I'm guessing that my lights are considerably different fromthe high watt ones. Mine are just a small biscuit shaped light....enclosed, and they fit under the spring youhave to mount in the cowl. The rubber seal is idela for this shape light but may not work on the high watt versions which I believe is anentirely different shape light. Mine light s themselves are sealed with no "bulb" but various little LED's.
I like them very well.

G

·
0 Posts

Red said:
kperson said:
Unless you know something different than I do, the Hondaline and Big Bike sets are the same except a couple of markings. BB and Hondaline only have one adjusting screw.
I am not familiar with the BB lights, should have been more specific.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have the EC lights, and would not buy them again unless he has a mounting system that is different than what I bought. It uses two springs wrapped up and onto a stud on back. Everytime I clean the bike (which is every time I ride it), I would knock the lights out of adjustment. I wound up making my own mounting system for them that holds them firm, but it's not what I expected.

I did contact them about the issue, and even offered to pay for an upgrade to a different mounting sytem, but was told it was the only one offered at the time (last winter).

Also, I thought the switch that came with it looked cheap, so I wound up buying the Honda factory switch from Honda Direct Line. That adds $28 to the price of the system.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
jjsC6 said:
I have the EC lights, and would not buy them again unless he has a mounting system that is different than what I bought. It uses two springs wrapped up and onto a stud on back.
The kit you have was our Basic Series. Cheaper by about 1/3 the price of our other kits with the stainless mounting system.

I did contact them about the issue, and even offered to pay for an upgrade to a different mounting sytem, but was told it was the only one offered at the time (last winter).
For that series of light, that is the only mount available. To change the mounts in our Performance Series, you would also have to change the lights as well.

Also, I thought the switch that came with it looked cheap, so I wound up buying the Honda factory switch from Honda Direct Line. That adds $28 to the price of the system.
I am not really sure what to tell you here other than this series of lights were priced 1/3 less than the performance series. It just simply costs more to include a nicer switch and more complex mounts.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
steve s said:
Lewis did add that rubber seal piece and it works very well. Allows the lights to be adjusted/pointed where you want them. I have the EC LED lights. Theyare low watt, but are easily seen I believe. A snap to install.
I'm guessing that my lights are considerably different fromthe high watt ones. Mine are just a small biscuit shaped light....enclosed, and they fit under the spring youhave to mount in the cowl. The rubber seal is idela for this shape light but may not work on the high watt versions which I believe is anentirely different shape light. Mine light s themselves are sealed with no "bulb" but various little LED's.
I like them very well.
The seal is only with the LED series of lights and our discontinued Basic Series.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts