GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride alot through deer country at night (in fact, there are six of the worthless bastards behind my house as I'm writing this) so headlight performance is a huge safety issue with me. Although my GL1800 has outstanding high beam headlights, I wish that low beam range could be improved without causing more flashbacks from other drivers.

I've tried cowl mounted driving lights but all they did was light up the area directly in front of the bike while causing a lot of flashbacks. I then fabricated some brackets to move those same lights higher on the bike but the performance was still inadequate.

I can't afford to learn through trial and error, especially when high end lights can cost hundreds of dollars per set.

My questions are: Are there driving lights that allow for extended low beam range without causing flashbacks? Where are these lights mounted, high or low? Are lights with a highly defined beam more or less apt to cause flashbacks if they're aimed properly?

Ride safe!

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
The best ones I have seen are mounted under the mirrors. Mcmom has a set on her bike. But you can't turn em on with traffic coming at you, as you will blind them.

I don't know of any that you can run with on all the time that get mounted up high, because it will blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Piaa lights mounted on the mirroirs or between the forks seem to do quite the job for about $300. I am sure one could find a cheaper set up though.

Dawg

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
All that I have is the lower Fog and they seem to give a little extra light out to the side and use them at night as well as you do. I also have the flashback problem, but I just give them a taste of the HI Beams, and they go back to their Lows, most of the time. On my GL-1200 I had a set of Wally World $30 Driving lights mounted on the engine bars pointed out to the front about 30 to 40 Deg to cover the side of the road, that worked quite well. (Those little critters and PIGS are a year round problem in this part of TX ) But on the 1800 there isn't a place to mount lights like that, and I have to rely on the Fogs to help. I also slow WAY DOWN at night, especially on known roads that have deer, and unknown roads I haven't traveled often.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Pardon my sick humor, but have you tried catarac removal?

Gizmo said:
I ride alot through deer country at night (in fact, there are six of the worthless bastards behind my house as I'm writing this) so headlight performance is a huge safety issue with me. Although my GL1800 has outstanding high beam headlights, I wish that low beam range could be improved without causing more flashbacks from other drivers.

I've tried cowl mounted driving lights but all they did was light up the area directly in front of the bike while causing a lot of flashbacks. I then fabricated some brackets to move those same lights higher on the bike but the performance was still inadequate.

I can't afford to learn through trial and error, especially when high end lights can cost hundreds of dollars per set.

My questions are: Are there driving lights that allow for extended low beam range without causing flashbacks? Where are these lights mounted, high or low? Are lights with a highly defined beam more or less apt to cause flashbacks if they're aimed properly?

Ride safe!

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
driving lights that actually work

The positioning of the lights is critical to the type of illumination that you wish to display.
The lower cowl lighting on the GL1800 is great if you are operating in very foggy conditions. Other than that the illumination that they provide for the rider while actually driving is minimal, as you are continuously overdriving the illumination.
These lights are a lot more for show than go.
I agree with the post regarding PIAA lights.
These lights really perform, and when mounted at the top of the forks beneath the cowl, look like they are made for the GL1800. This lighting system is very easy to install. The install is clean, the parts are top notch, and what you must consider is the fact that replacement parts are readily available.
The PIAA 1100X custom driving light for the GL1800 is hard to beat.
It is a bit pricy, but you get what you pay for.
Try "www.whitehorsepress.com" part # 74118 for one of the best on line prices.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
biglefti said:
Pardon my sick humor, but have you tried catarac removal?
Actually, the physical changes that have occurred in my eyes over the past few years have reduced my vision in low light situations. According to my optometrist, it's just another one of those things that happens to your body when you surpass the big five-oh. His suggestion was that I should "carry a flashlight". Geez, thanks Doc!

This night vision problem seems to be worst when there is oncoming traffic. My eyes don't switch from light to dark like they used to. Another factor, IMO, is that there are so many vehicles with very bright, glaring lights (GL1800's included) and it's often necessary to flash at their high beams from 1/2 mile or more away.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have a pair of lights ($40)from Princess Auto mounted in the lower cowl. They are a flat beam (fog) light but they are clear. I have them aimed so their beams hit the pavement about 125 feet in front of the bike and aimed slightly outwards so they really light up the ditches. I find them a great addition for back road driving at night and I run with them on all the time and very seldom have anyone flash their highs at me. Also thinking about mounting another pair under the mirrors and switch them so they come on with the highbeams.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You might check into the HID lights. I have been looking at them online for some time now. Just haven't wanted to lay down that kind of jack for them. Use them for the low beams only. Then change out the high beam bulbs to the 55W=100W Zenon bulbs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This doesn't solve the driving light delema but a few weeks ago I was traveling across state early in the morning and there was heavy patchy fog. I had on my EC Platnuim Fog lights but that didn't give me enough driving light either. I turned on my high beams and adjusted them down to where the low beams should be. That gave me a bright spot of light to follow and the rest of the lights filled in the rest. I went over 60 miles on a two lane and didn't get flashed once.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
driving lights that actually work

Would you please advise others & myself of where one may obtain a better on line price.

·
Registered
253 Posts
driving lights

---Hey guys. What about PIAA's replacement bulbs for the goldwing. 55w bulbs that put out something like 4000 kilvin brightness. These wouldn't melt the lens I guess? List for $49.95 a bulb. X's 4. Anyone tried these?? 8)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Re: driving lights that actually work

pearlblue1800A said:
Would you please advise others & myself of where one may obtain a better on line price.
I haven't poked around, but I know we have that price beat.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Re: driving lights

skibis said:
---Hey guys. What about PIAA's replacement bulbs for the goldwing. 55w bulbs that put out something like 4000 kilvin brightness. These wouldn't melt the lens I guess? List for $49.95 a bulb. X's 4. Anyone tried these?? 8)
PIAA makes some nice stuff, but my personal opinion is that their bulbs are overpriced. The best bulb I have found is one Fred Harmon turned me onto.....the e-dot German bulbs. $39.95 for a pair. I liked them so much we decided to import them to resell (as do a few other places).

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
driving lights that actually work?

To Lewis from E/C:
When you state "I know we have that price beat". Such an arbitrary statement means very little. Exactly how much do you have "that price beat" by?
Why play games? Simply just state your price.
**I just checked my "private message board"
Lewis thank you for privately stating to me that you now have this product "ON SALE".
p/n PA-GL18 for $319.95 (a saving of TEN dollars!! or 3%)A 3% off sale?"
OOPs was that not suppose to be posted?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: driving lights that actually work?

pearlblue1800A said:
To Lewis from E/C:
When you state "I know we have that price beat". Such an arbitrary statement means very little. Exactly how much do you have "that price beat" by?
Lewis thank you for privately stating to me that you now have this product "ON SALE".
Did you follow these easy directions?
SALE ITEM - add to cart to see special price.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts

gdaddy said:
pearlblue1800A said:
To Lewis from E/C:
Did you follow these easy directions?
SALE ITEM - add to cart to see special price.
Apparently not... and I don't think much of his 'style'! :roll:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

pearlblue1800A said:
To Lewis from E/C:
--------------
OOPS? Open oral orifice and insert elongated pedal extremties. Again. OK, one more time! Private message means PRIVATE. Try to be nice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts