GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without trying to start a fight, I am trying to figure out witch lights to install in the lower cowl of the wing. Now that the weather is not the greatest for riding I thought I would spoil the wing and buy it some add ons. So, which lights provide the best illumination and install in the factory equipment?

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
driving lights

I have the Big Bikes lights and like them , also you can replace a bulb and or lens with out replacing the hole light.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went with the Platinum series from EC. Mounting is a little tricky, but in the end, all my friends are amazed at the amount of light that they produce.

Having the lights mount low really fill in the space in between the high beams. I wired mine so that I can use the high and driving lights at the same time!

The people at EC are very knowledgeable, helpful and overall design great add on products!

Consider them!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Re: driving lights

Brian Hand said:
I have the Big Bikes lights and like them , also you can replace a bulb and or lens with out replacing the hole light.
Brian,

I don't think there is a light out there on the market that requires whole light replacement when the bulb goes bad.

The only negative I hear on the Show Chrome/Honda kit is that the bulb is not "mainstream". You can't pick it up at any auto parts store. The negative I hear on our light kit is the initial install is a little more involved.

·
Registered
234 Posts
EC Lights..end of story

Get the EC lights...solid installation, bright German bulbs...adjustable for up and down lighting.....just the best......write your check and never look back.....

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
call EC they will take care of you

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Fooddum01 said:
I went with the Platinum series from EC. Mounting is a little tricky, but in the end, all my friends are amazed at the amount of light that they produce.

Having the lights mount low really fill in the space in between the high beams. I wired mine so that I can use the high and driving lights at the same time!

The people at EC are very knowledgeable, helpful and overall design great add on products!

Consider them!
DITTO !!! Got 'em, and they're really visible, 55 watts versus the 35 watt output on most others. Terry

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
IMHO, no lights compare to the E.C. Platinum Series lights. They are as bright, if not brighter than the headlights. They cost more than the other brands, well except Honda brand, but are well worth the money. I won't consider anything else.

·
Registered
147 Posts
EC

I agree that EC is the way to go. I have the platium series and the really are bright. The whole mounting system is really not that difficult plus they are easy to aim. I did modify them a little by using cotter pins for all four of the springs rather than for just two of the springs.

EC uses top quality components and they work great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Platinum EC. I'm very Happy with them.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have a question. Are folks happy with your EC driving lights because you feel they enhance conspicuity or is it because they significantly improve nighttime lighting?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nightime vision. Because I have know idea what conspicuity means.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had my headlights go out on my way back from the Grand Canyon in the dead of night. My EC Platinum lights were a lifesaver. The experience also gave me the opportunity to see exactly how much light they put out. While not comparable to the headlights, they do light up the road immediately in front of the bike. Their contribution to the total lighting is also noticable when you turn them on with the headlights. They fill in the dark spots. Riding with friends I often hear that they also add significantly to conspicuity. Installed they look great, and the switch is a perfect match to the panel. I had a question during the install and the EC employee who answered the phone was extremely helpful. I highly recommend these lights and EC in general.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
EC Platinum.

Took less than 1 hour to install. Looks great, lets me be seen by oncoming traffic, and improves night time vision, once they are adjusted.

Even came with clear and amber covers.

Great product, great company.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Gizmo said:
I have a question. Are folks happy with your EC driving lights because you feel they enhance conspicuity or is it because they significantly improve nighttime lighting?
Ouote CharlieUPI: Nightime vision. Because I have know idea what conspicuity means.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: I like this guy!!!

Hey Gizmo,
The answer is they do both very well, best I've seen. 8
) Terry

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Gizmo said:
I don't ride much at nite, so for me they are to make myself more visible to cages during daylite.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Re: driving lights

Brian Hand said:
I too went with the Big Bike driving lights and installed them earlier today. I didn't expect to buy them yesterday but one of our riding buddies bought a new '07 Wing yesterday and the dealer gave all three of us a 10% discount and no tax on any add-ons or helmets we wanted since we traveled over a thousand miles round trip to Honda of Sumter SC.

I'll report at a later date how these lights worked out for me. In the garage they look fantastic and I do favor having them mounted on the engine block rather than the lower cowl. Cutting and trimming those cut outs are a chore. The GL 1500 cut outs were a piece of cake being that they were rectangle in shape, compared to the GL 1800's round ones and with limited space to get my paws in there. My fingers had a work-out earlier.

Honda either needs to provide driving light as standard at a higher cost or at least provide push-out/pop-outs instead of cut-outs... :roll:

As a side note this dealer gave us test rides on their Wing trikes. Long story short, trikes are not for me. :shock:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Trapshooter,
I'll be in Columbus over Christmas. Order the EC lights and I'll help you install them. The EC install is really not that hard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts