GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I can’t seem to find a hard-wired power cord for my Droid Moto Z3 phone. I want to wire it straight to my PC8 fuse block...but all I can find are USB-type cords. Is there such a thing available?

Thanks in advance,

Big Cat (Jim)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Easiest thing to do might be to get yourself a USB automotive charger. Wire that direct to the PC8 fuse block, then use a standard USB cable to the Droid Moto Z3. USB power is typically 5 VDC, direct to your PC8 would supply 12 VDC - your phone might not like that!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Easiest thing to do might be to get yourself a USB automotive charger. Wire that direct to the PC8 fuse block, then use a standard USB cable to the Droid Moto Z3. USB power is typically 5 VDC, direct to your PC8 would supply 12 VDC - your phone might not like that!
This^^^

On eBay you can pick up a USB charging port for about $10 or $11, complete with the wires to connect to the battery including the in line fuse. Install that, plug in your USB charging cable and you're set. For a few bucks more you can get one with an volt meter built in.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Most every phone these days takes a +5V power from the USB (either a micro-B connector or the newer USB-C connector)

Additionally, certain phones do have the ability of quick charging, but I'm really not a fan of that in a mobile application. Yes, I want it to charge, but if it's plugged in for 3+ hours before gas, I don't need to worry about it running out of juice.

I bought something like this from eBay a few years ago. Zero issues; been in two bikes for 30k or more.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Mo...ocphy=9030254&hvtargid=pla-392923486725&psc=1

That, and a quality USB cable buried in the bowels of the bike work great. Spend the coin on a good cable that'll last a while, so you'll only do this once. Tie that to your fuse block...and you're good!

I put a slight bit of shrink sleeve at the USB-A connector interface to help it stay contacted and weather-resistant.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Jim, I bought an all weather power cord from Menards for my Z3. It plugs into my 12 volt power outlet and runs up to my handlebars and has an all weather cap for when it's no plugged into my Z3. You could try stripping the end wires and hard wiring it to a battery. I found it easier to use my 12 volt plug in my right fairing pocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts