GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard people talk about a drone sound at hwy cruising speed. Even Cruiseman claims he hears a bothering drone tone on the hwy. How real is that?

Has anyone attempted to get rid of it?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
It is real, I only notice it if I am not wearing my ear buds. No big deal.

prs

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wear an open face helmet with the windscreen all the way down and never let your speed drop below 70 MPH and you'll never notice it :banghead:

Okay I was being facetious. I notice the drone depending on type of helmet and whether or not I'm wearing earplugs. I normally ride with an open face helmet and earplugs and I don't notice it at all. With a full face helmet I notice it but don't find it bothersome.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: reginaldmc

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have heard people talk about a drone sound at hwy cruising speed.
It is NOT a "drone". It is called the "exhaust note". All internal combustion engines have one.

I wear foamie ear plugs to save my hearing from wind noise. I don't hear the exhaust note from my 2018.

Reactions: reginaldmc

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nando,

I seem to recall that you have (or had) an '18 BMW R1200RT? If that is correct, the '18-'19 Gold Wing's exhaust note is much quieter than the RT, at all RPMs and at highway cruising speed, if you're wanting a comparison.

Otherwise, I have NEVER heard of ANY motorcycle owner attempting to make ANY OEM exhaust system quieter. Ever.

Tim

Edit: I meant to say I happily owned a '14 R1200RT with stock exhaust and my wife says it was much louder than the Wing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Sounds great to me....a tad louder be perfect:grin2:

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2018 howls through the twisties in 3rd gear at 5k+ RPM's and I love it. It does drone, but if it bothers you, just upshift and the drone goes away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have heard people talk about a drone sound at hwy cruising speed. Even Cruiseman claims he hears a bothering drone tone on the hwy. How real is that?

Very REAL, but I can understand why discovering this after purchasing the bike could cause some people to just deny its existence in the hope they'll somehow forget about it (rather than having to deal with Honda)! My 2018 DCT Tour is definitely afflicted with the dreaded droan. In fact, it's annoying enough to me (and apparently others, please see the link below) that early on (last year) I filed a complaint with Honda PowereSports in CA to document it. If it bothers you, suggest you do the same (file a complaint).

Read on: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/417721-oh-drone-sound.html

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Remember that that was engineered into the bike during development. They Made 1 pipe smaller on each side. They wanted a ‘sound’ that would attract new riders. They could have just as easily (spent the same research money) made it quieter than the previous model.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sound reminds me of my old 1500cc Valkyrie, nice deep tone. Great bike, love the way Honda chromed out the engine. Wish they could of expose the engine more and incorporated chrome in the new Goldwing engines. :grin2:

·
Registered
192 Posts
My wife and I had just returned from a 3600 trip, my wife who sat right above the exhaust pipe, had no complaints regarding the exhaust or the seat for that matter, just stop every 1.5 - 2 hrs for a stretch.
the Goldwing had no issue what so ever,what a Fantastic machine!
Pbr

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Very REAL, but I can understand why discovering this after purchasing the bike could cause some people to just deny its existence in the hope they'll somehow forget about it (rather than having to deal with Honda)! ........
Yea, that's it....
Pretty amazing how I can come to this form and others tell me my bike has problems that I've never encountered. :wink2:

No complaints on exhaust note here......at any speed.

·
Registered
376 Posts

The drone was not discovered by Cruiseman. Many reviewers reported the drone from the very first pre-release reviews of the GW. Before I bought my '18, I watched every review I could find. Many reviewers reported the drone. I remember some from the Jan. 2018 event that Honda held in Austin TX mentioned the drone.

So it is a real thing and has even been reported and discussed in some threads on the forum. I remember someone putting a plug into one of the two exhaust outlets on the stock exhaust and said it eliminated the drone for him.

I used to notice it sometimes as more of a pressure than a drone. However, once I switched my helmet to a Notch II, I don't really hear it or notice it any more.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts