GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, the shame! After nearly 24,000 miles I have dropped my 2018 DCT twice in the past couple of weeks. Both times were in the middle of making a U-turn to the left. The first time, a total surprise, I had no idea what happened. But the second time it was very clear: About halfway around, the engine simply died... with bike leaned over and feet up, down we went. Those 24K miles included a bit of slow-speed stuff, and I was actually sort of proud of it, so this recent issue is a puzzle.

I've made this U-turn twice since then, with trepidation, keeping revs up and applying fairly heavy rear brake... revs too high and brake too hard, but having fallen twice recently on this same turn instills a bit of fear.

I'm suspecting my recent clutch reset, about 200 miles ago. Tentative plan is to warm it up and do another one.

I'd welcome any advice about revs (I read somewhere not to have the throttle completely closed), etc. These falls are really distressing. I'm almost afraid of the bike now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't let it get into your head. Go to a parking lot and practice U-turns. You will quickly get used to applying the correct combination of throttle and rear trailing brake.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If the DCT is really stalling you should be able to reproduce the situation without doing a u-turn, if your DCT is stalling at low speed take it to the dealer. They are not suppose to do that.

Reactions: Werdigo

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
Motorman sometimes cites lack of momentum or speed as the cause of getting on your side like that, even in really tight U he is saying 10 to 15 MPH if I recall correctly. I have yet to achieve consistent tight U turns on the DCT and I eventually found them easy on the 2002. I use "rain" mode and lock it in 1st gear and make that counter dip before the turn, but I still cross the line into that third parking spot more often than not. I am puzzled that your bike actually stalled the motor, I hope that was a fluke. I have not stalled yet.

Reactions: Werdigo

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just thinking out loud, but there are a couple of things that can shutdown the engine - side stand switch if in gear and the bank angle sensor (might be others but I only know of these two). So if you dropped the bike, the bank angle sensor is supposed to shut off the engine, but if you are sure the engine shut off before you went over then no. Maybe the bank angle sensor or side stand switch is goofed up. (the bank angle sensor is pretty easy to get to - under the right side instrument panel, its the half round thing that looks like it is just beyond the tachometer, under the bottom left corner of the tach - maybe check to make sure it didn't bust off one of the two mounting bolts for some reason and is just hanging at a lean - probably not but its a free check).
Maybe start the engine and try and lean it over to the left as far as your comfortable with by hand just sitting in the garage to see if it dies (or set it on the sidestand - will the engine start on the sidestand?)? Or straddle the bike with it in gear (D) and kick the side stand a few times to se if you can shake something loose?
If this doesn't show anything and you are sure you did not inadvertently drop it, I'd be thinking about taking it into a dealer since whatever it is, its not very safe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Center stand testing moving the kickstand and handlebars. Perhaps the DCT clutch is not releasing, load the engine with the brake as well.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
What is a clutch re-set on the DCT?? Do you mean the Re-initialization??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a clutch re-set on the DCT?? Do you mean the Re-initialization??
Yes, I think that's the proper name. In Fred's "DCT Clutch Initialization Procedure" I followed kjsmart's post #17, printed out as step-by-step text rather than a video.
Sorry for any confusion --- my printed-out page of steps doesn't include what it's called :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Werdigo,how much fuel was in the tank when engine quit in leaning position...is it possible low fuel starved the engine while in turn?

Jim

·
Registered
759 Posts
A man on Facebook is having issues with his 2018 engine stalling and it was due to a faulty start/kill switch on the right handlebar. Also another guy claims that the helibar riders put too much strain on the wiring the way it’s routes and when he would make tight full lock turns it would pull on the starter switch and kill the bike. Just some suggestions that I’ve seen in the last 4 months with bikes randomly stalling

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think it would be difficult to judge whether the engine had stalled or not in a tipover situation. If engine stalling has not been noticed except in tipover then I would be looking for other solutions.

During the last few months I have watched a lot of heavy motorcycle handling videos and 2 things became obvious: !) U-turn procedure is much more effective at a higher speed ie 10-15 rather than the 7-10 I was doing. 2) I was surprised at how far back the riders are looking ie way over the shoulder past 120 degrees. I was looking 80-90 back but at 120 to 150 degrees back my u turn is much better at a higher speed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Werdigo,how much fuel was in the tank when engine quit in leaning position...is it possible low fuel starved the engine while in turn?

Jim
Good idea, Jim... can't say for sure, but around home here I'm careful about filling up before the gauge blinks (usually before it hits "one bar"). Long desolate highway miles with a flashing warning have made me pretty sensitive to this!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it would be difficult to judge whether the engine had stalled or not in a tipover situation. If engine stalling has not been noticed except in tipover then I would be looking for other solutions.

During the last few months I have watched a lot of heavy motorcycle handling videos and 2 things became obvious: !) U-turn procedure is much more effective at a higher speed ie 10-15 rather than the 7-10 I was doing. 2) I was surprised at how far back the riders are looking ie way over the shoulder past 120 degrees. I was looking 80-90 back but at 120 to 150 degrees back my u turn is much better at a higher speed.
Thanks, gdb; I appreciate that with the anxiety and confusion of the fall it might be hard to tell when the engine shut down. My first fall a couple of weeks ago was such a total surprise (I don't LIKE U-turns but have done quite a few of them and this seemed ordinary) that I had no idea what happened. But on this second one I wasn't leaning over very far, just going slow, when suddenly the engine shut off. It happened before I fell, not after.
Good advice from the videos. Practicing for my motorcycle endorsement a few years ago, I put in hours of practice with rope and cones on a vacant parking lot and learned about throwing the head back... but that was on the NC-700X. As my first respondent suggested, time for similar exercise with the Wing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Any chance it lost the bike lost connection with the FOB? I'm not sure what happens if the bike is ridden beyond the FOB connection distance. Hopefully someone here has tested it and can report.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Any chance it lost the bike lost connection with the FOB? I'm not sure what happens if the bike is ridden beyond the FOB connection distance. Hopefully someone here has tested it and can report.
I went 10 miles out of range without my fob and all I got was some beeping and the icon on the dash blinking.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yeah, I have heard of that and only I know the solution. ;) Ship your bike to me for the summer. I will totally inspect your bike and of course correct the problem. I will return your machine just prior to the first snow fall. Hey, just trying to help a guy out.(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah, the shame! After nearly 24,000 miles I have dropped my 2018 DCT twice in the past couple of weeks. Both times were in the middle of making a U-turn to the left. The first time, a total surprise, I had no idea what happened. But the second time it was very clear: About halfway around, the engine simply died... with bike leaned over and feet up, down we went. Those 24K miles included a bit of slow-speed stuff, and I was actually sort of proud of it, so this recent issue is a puzzle.

I've made this U-turn twice since then, with trepidation, keeping revs up and applying fairly heavy rear brake... revs too high and brake too hard, but having fallen twice recently on this same turn instills a bit of fear.

I'm suspecting my recent clutch reset, about 200 miles ago. Tentative plan is to warm it up and do another one.

I'd welcome any advice about revs (I read somewhere not to have the throttle completely closed), etc. These falls are really distressing. I'm almost afraid of the bike now.
This may not be the issue in your case but I'll tell you my issue. Keep in mine this is my first bike with linked brakes, I have a 2018 tour that I took to a ride like a pro course and went down doing a u turn and again doing the intersection. I've had my Valkyrie Interstate there 2 other time and had no issue doing any of the course to the point of getting kudos from the other riders and instructors. What I finally figured out was if you add to much back brake to quick such as pulsing it the front end drops and down you go in a hurry, just like using you front brake in a slow turn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't mean to drag this topic out, so please let me report on what I've tried in response to the group's suggestions... with thanks to all who suggested help!
CarpeDiem: Agreed, one doesn't expect stalling. The rider on one of the "slow maneuvers" YouTube videos I watched said stalling was not possible with a properly functioning DCT Wing.
PigeonRoost: Yes, it's possible that I was just going too slow... but that would have caused loss of balance, not the engine shutting down (which I'm sure happened first).
almostretired: If the angle sensor feels like a hockey puck, it's solid. Engine starts (N) on the side stand; with it up and bike in D (1), lowering side stand shuts motor off. Stays running as far as I dare to tilt it manually in the driveway.
iamgcd: "DCT clutch not releasing" sounds good to me. If that's the case, I need to figure out why. I went for a 10-mile ride later, stopping at red lights etc., and everything was fine. I keep the FOB key in my jacket pocket.
dbmachine: The KILL switch is worth considering! Seems unlikely, but a few years ago I accidentally killed the NC at highway speed in Alberta by bumping it trying to do something I should have had the sense to stop for.
shootist007: Good idea, but you're riding way more aggressively than I was (or ever do!).

I did ride 10 miles to warm it up for ANOTHER CLUTCH RE-INITIALIZATION. It completed as expected, but I haven't ridden since doing it.
I'm going to find a big, empty parking lot and do some experimenting. WIDE U-turns, gradually reduce the radius. See if I can get it to stall. Slow-speed weaving, etc. If I'm not in traffic and not going fast, it shouldn't be too scary. And... I see that a service at 24,000 miles is recommended, and I'm within a few miles of that. So maybe it's time for the dealer anyway.

Thanks again, everyone --- this is a great group.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would verify the oil level is good. Maybe try testing the tight turns using the walk mode. That cycles the clutch more.
I'm watching to see what you find, please keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had to do a u-turn in the route they sent me on for a test ride on the DCT (I bought manual). Definitely something that would take some practice!

What kind of damage did a slow drop like that do? Pics?

Hope you figure it out!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts