GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here's the left saddlebag; this constitutes most of the damage. The left handlebar end was scraped a little, and the plastic bumper on the left engine cover was abraded, scraped up but I didn't think it was photo-worthy. I'm not very picky about my vehicles' appearances, but that beautiful deep blue saddlebag may deserve some touch-up paint. The saddlebag is still perfectly functional --- first thing I checked!

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I was gonna say 'Initialization' but several folks already recommended this. The only reason why I am posting this is cause the moderators have agree to send me a 100 dollar bill every time I post something.

The only thing I did not get was why so much scratch on the bag. I slid on the right side right off the road on a turn where I lost traction...the bike slid away from me several feet and my right bag doesn't even have a hint of a crach. The engine guard thingies where screwed, but they did their job.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm sure it's not related but this happened to me when I had my mirrors folded in and attempted to turn around. The mirror lines up with the front brake lever perfectly.....:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's the left saddlebag; this constitutes most of the damage. The left handlebar end was scraped a little, and the plastic bumper on the left engine cover was abraded, scraped up but I didn't think it was photo-worthy. I'm not very picky about my vehicles' appearances, but that beautiful deep blue saddlebag may deserve some touch-up paint. The saddlebag is still perfectly functional --- first thing I checked!
View attachment 369332
I had a slow tip over and had the same damage to my saddlebag. I wish there would be some kind of molding or pad that would look good that could offer protection for these minor scraps. Ideas??

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Someone mentioned something about needing to go 10-15MPH for a tight U-turn? I leave work in a 14' radius loop from a dead stop going right and I am at best 5MPH at the front wheel. But I have a manual-6. Not being able to do that on a DCT for stalling is a problem - and you are not going to be able to hit 10+MPH for a 14' radius U-turn.

I hope a fix can be found for you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If the DCT is really stalling you should be able to reproduce the situation without doing a u-turn, if your DCT is stalling at low speed take it to the dealer. They are not suppose to do that.
I'm wondering if the problem might have been a lack of Throttle causing the engine to Cough in the turn, taking it to the ground where the engine shut down as it should?? My guess is everything happen in pretty quick succession?

During slow speed maneuvering I always use more throttle than required and control my speed using rear trailing
brake. This provides plenty of RPM's to avoid an engine Cough or Stall.

I practice Turns, U-Turns and Circles Around A Point about once a month in a parking lot with and without a passenger just to maintain my edge. With practice I've learned to perform these maneuvers while only putting down my left foot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So it just now occurs to me that i guess no one makes engine guard nor saddle bag crash bars for the new wing. i realize it has those tip over tabs covered by rubber and it did svae the left side of my bike in a, say 5mpg rear end bump. not like the old/new days where u can ger crash bars for a bmw r1200rt. no disrespect to the wing mind you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
regarding the fall...did not read all the post though i do try to use trail (rear braking) while keeping the throttle on at low speeds. seems to help, me going slow if making turns. To me it seems the dct sort of requires u give her more throttle with rear brake to have better slow speed control if turning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
regarding the fall...did not read all the post though i do try to use trail (rear braking) while keeping the throttle on at low speeds. seems to help, me going slow if making turns. To me it seems the dct sort of requires u give her more throttle with rear brake to have better slow speed control if turning.
I've had some experience with confined area negotiations. While I do enjoy my DCT, I sincerely miss the fine control inputs a clutch provides.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts