GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just knew it was going to happen sooner than later, while trying to put my new 07 Wing on the center stand I took it too far from center and dropped the bike. I wonder why Honda didn't put the foot piece for the center stand on the opposite side of the bike so maybe the kick stand could possible catch it. I'm just sick about the whole thing, it brought tears to my eyes. Any suggestions what I could do differently next time?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't feel too bad. Most of us have done it. My 06 was 1 week old when it happend to me. the bottom of my boot was wet, and slipped off the
center stand, and slowly fell to the right! I've had 150,000+ miles riding ST1100's, VFR's etc, but the Wing is a BIG difference. I strongly rec the video Ride Like a Pro IV. Watch and then go practice.
Motodoc42

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
rmiller said:
Any suggestions what I could do differently next time?
Isn't it obvious what you can do different next time? Don't drop it! :wink:

When you're pressing down on the centerstand make sure both feet of the stand are touching the ground. That's how you can avoid what you did.... I think.

You're best bet might be have someone that's put a Wing on a centerstand a few thousand times show you how they do it.

Good luck and hope you didn't mess too many things up on the bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. It was the pain of a fellow 07 Goldwing owner. I feel for you man.
Hasen't happened to my wing yet, but I did the exact same thing as you when my 02 Kawasaki Voyager was about a month old. I was putting it up on the center stand and went too far. Sure is a helpless feeling when she starts to go.
To prevent further occurrences what I do now is I leave the bike angled towards me a degree or two as I put ALL my weight on the foot piece. Just before the bike up on the center stand I rock it a bit so that I can feel the far side of the center-stand contact the garage floor. Now I stomp and lift with confidence. It is a lot easier to do than to explain it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why use the center stand? I always use just the kick stand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Center stand

Have a helper( friend , wife ,etc.) stand on the other side with their right hand on the throttle , and their left on the passenger hand rail and lift up and back at the same time that you do . It will go up much easyer and if it starts to get away from you they can help steady the bike . Just till you get the hang of it . Good luck ,

Clint :D :D :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
centre stand

...not wanting to sound cliche', but I'm sure we can all feel your
pain...

...as Red said, be sure to feel that both feet of the centre stand
are grounded; I wouldn't know if by chance your bike was
"rocked" back/forth trying to centre stand it or not, but try to
get it up in one fluid motion

...I think most people when taking the bike off the stand simply
stand on the side of the bike and holding the bar and seat handle
push the bike forward and then onto the side stand - I've had my
'wing for 3 years now and I still can't and still won't try again to
get it off the centre stand that way - I'm just not comfortable and
I swear I would drop the bike to the far side as you did -

...getting the bike off the centre stand, I'm always on bike, feet
on the ground and push forward - works for me

...by the way, you didn't mention...hows your bike?

regards...Ken

·
Registered
755 Posts
Until you get some practice, try this:
1) Set pre-load to max, this lifts the rear and makes it easier
2) Make SURE the bike is in neutral and you have on GOOD boots,
3) Start with a gental rocking motion, one hand on the bars, one on the seat grip
4) Once you start up, STAND on the center stand with ALL of your weight.

Should pop up quite easily.

Sorry you dropped it, but heck it happens to MOST of us.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I push down on the center-stand foot rest with my right foot and push the center-stand to the ground before I take the bike off the side-stand. Then as I lift up the bike while pressing down with my right foot on the center-stand, you can feel when the far side leg of the center stand makes contact with the ground. At that time I push hard with my right foot and pull the bike backwards. Up it goes without any problems. Hope this helps. It works for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ken C., I had the same feeling trying to get it off the stand. Then I saw Trialsman do his rock-and-roll thing. That's how I do it now.

Just sit on the bike while it's on the stand. Rock back and then forward. It comes off the stand easy as pie, and you have a foot on both sides to catch it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
tascottaf said:
I push down on the center-stand foot rest with my right foot and push the center-stand to the ground before I take the bike off the side-stand. Then as I lift up the bike while pressing down with my right foot on the center-stand, you can feel when the far side leg of the center stand makes contact with the ground. At that time I push hard with my right foot and pull the bike backwards. Up it goes without any problems. Hope this helps. It works for me.
This method woks well for me as too!

Now that you have that first drop out of the way you can stop worring about it :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have looked for a ride on- rid off stand and can not find one. My friend bought an older bike that has this and it is nice. Anyone know where to get such an animal.g

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
depcons said:
I have looked for a ride on- rid off stand and can not find one. My friend bought an older bike that has this and it is nice. Anyone know where to get such an animal.g
They are popular in Germany. Unfortunately, usually connected to a well known German marque. :?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, me too..., my 1500 fell over in the garage a couple of years ago! Got the CB Antenna when it hit the wall... $100+ later it was repaired. Finally "made friends" with the center stand and use it frequently. I'm thinking that most of us has dropped one but they aren't fessing up!

I found when putting it on the center stand to exert a little pressure on the stand with my foot and lean the bike over until I "feel" the other side of the stand touch the floor. It's subtle but the "feel" is there. When getting it off the stand I ALWAYS get on first and rock it forward. Good stability and better control of the bike when it "straddled"...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I find the GW is easier to get up on the centerstand than my Concours. On both bikes I grab the rear handrail (with the other hand on the handgrip)and pull up against my foot going down. Using just ur bodyweight sometimes doesn't work for the smaller riders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try upping the setting on the rear shock until you get the hang of putting the bike on the centerstand. It won't take long and you'll be able to put it up there with little to no effort.

That worked for me!

Seeya!
Smiley

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gene Kallus said:
...exert a little pressure on the "center" stand with my foot and lean the bike over until I "feel" the other side of the stand touch the floor. It's subtle but the "feel" is there. When getting it off the stand I ALWAYS get on first and rock it forward. Good stability and better control of the bike when it "straddled"...
Ditto...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts