GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: Left a friends house today, started up the road and realised I did not have my gloves on. One of them was on the backseat the other had fallen off the bike, so I turned around to find it. Sure enough It was laying in the middle of the road just where I had left it. So I kicked the bike in neutral came to a stop got off the bike and failed to put the side stand down, you know what happened next. Yep that big machine layed down in the middle of the road. But God looks out for children and fools (I aint been a kid for some time now) there was a man pushing a baby stroller about 50ft away and He ran over to help me get it uprighted. I thanked him, got on the bike and rode off, still wonderin what in the wide wide world of sports had happened, the whole thing took about 15 seconds. Started to ride some more but decided to put it to rest for the day. MAN did I feel STUPID!!
Well any way it was a great day for ridin ....and fallin.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
KC,

Sorry to hear about your little adventure today.

You could have turned a bad expierience into a learning expierince and picked that puppy up by yourself.

Well if you are like me, you will get another chance. :lol:

Bulldog

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I've been there myself :oops: ..It's amazing the amount of adrenaline that is built-up from the embarassment. I felt like I could have lifted a Mack Truck!!

Lay the bike down slowly sometime out in the garage and give it a 'practice run' . It's quite easy to upright the Wing if you unfortunately have it happen to you again.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome to the club....

I done that myself when I went to a gas station and filled up. Then I pulled over to wait on everybody else. I put the kickstand down, so I thought, and over she goes. Happens to us all at one time or another. :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hedo,

Your signature tickles my ......

When I was in Europe, my job was more about traveling than it was about work.

When I wanted to get my wife thinking, I would sign the letter "Don't worry, the trip is going fine, wish you were her".

I think it backfired on me though, we don't share letters anymore :oops:

Bulldog

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't feel bad about droping your bike in that situation. I did something much worse last September. I was riding with friends to see some of the fall colors in Colorado. On the way back we decided to take an alternate route from Idaho Springs to Black Hawk. The road is dirt most of the way. One of the right hand turns was more like 110 degrees instead of the normal 90. I slowed down, first mistake, instead of going wide, second mistake. The bike was going to slow to remain stable. As the bike leaned to the right I tried to put my foot down only to find there was no ground under my foot. Me and the bike went down into a small ditch. I've got scratch marks on the right rear sadle bag, right flaring, and mirror. I felt really stupid because as we were leaving Idaho Springs I told everyone that I had no trouble with dirt roads having ridden several just this past summer. Of course the difference was that the dirt roads I had ridden were straight, not twisting moutains roads. My poor bike.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Bulldog - I'm a big 'Parrot-head' (a Jimmy Buffett fan). That is a line from one of his songs. Kinda like another of his...."if the phone doesn't ring, it's me"

Gotta love his humor. Check him out sometime.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome to the club KC. That's something most all of us have done at one time or another. We tend to find some way of doing it.
Glad you or your bike weren't hurt.
It really gives you a sick feeling, don't it? :oops:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
As an added precaution, I did the same thing the third day of ownership. Got off with no sidestand down, but my problem was the battery leaked acid. Never expected this, drove two miles to get off and look down at the chrome eaten off of the muffler. Some spots on the rear wheel, tail ends of exhaust and battery case. Dealer only replaced battery, and muffler. Refused to fight for anything else under warranty. Would not even replace the battery bracket bolt, pennies. So look under the battery anytime it tips. Good dealers are hard to find.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Stopped by to see my brother some time back and parked the Wing with its' sidestand. Went inside to take care of a few things. A few minutes later I get told my 7 year old rambunctious nephew had attempted to climb upon the bike from the wrong side and pulled the bike over on himself.

Deep breath, "Is he okay?!" (rather proud of myself with that statement.) Well he turned out to be more scared than anything and the crash bars kept the bike from being damaged and we all learned a lesson. Mine is never to leave the bike on its' sidestand at my brothers home or any other with children, my nephew learned that he can get on the bike any time he asks but he must ask and get on it from the left side.

Oh and I must also share the incident involving a long trip on the highway at about 32 degrees on my NightHawk. Reached the stop at the end of the off ramp and forgot to put my feet down. Now that's embarrassing.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I dropped my Wing the second day I had it, right in the driveway. I pulled up in front of garage and thought I also put the side stand down. That was when I learned it did not go down like the 1200 I traded in. The 1200 stand seemed to go past center and it was almost locked. The 1800 however will stop and hold without going past center and at times it would roll forward as I got off. Yes it is embarassing :oops: . I did not know how easy it really is to pick one up by ones self. I remembered a clip that was on the internet awhile back when a lady weighing less than 140 pounds showed the proper way it could be done. With her method and my madness from dropping it, the wing came right back up.

Now if I have any doubts I put it in reverse before shutting it off. It can not roll forward or backward this way.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hey guys do what I did. I was worried about the wife and the side stand so I took the side stand off and put it on the shelf. :D See below what she rides.

True story. The wife wanted to learn how to drive and get her endorsement so we both took the Ohio safety course. Hey for $25 you get to beat someone elses bike plus I learned stuff that I either forgot or never knew. So I felt the wife was ready for some side streets. I hopped on my 82 Aspencade with side hack and put her on a 350. At one point I went around her to make sure she turned at the next intersection. At the stop sign she pulled alongside to ask what was up. Well she put her left foot down, stopped then leaned to the right. Yep there she was leaning against me pinning my leg. No damage. No injuries. Problem was that we were both laughing so hard that neither of could move or right her bike. The few cars that came up from behind failed to see the humor but we still laugh till this day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Parked bigPhred just outside the garage with the nose pointed where the incline was VERY slight and did not have it i gear. You guessed it!!! went down. Totally confused on why it occured, I righted the bike and reparked it trying to figure out what happened and as I turned to go back to the garage?????? gues what? I watched in horror as it took at least a minute :cry: for the bike to fall again...anyway that'w what the time seemed like. I really thought about throwing my body under it as a token for my stupidity. No damage and the bike is relatively easy to upright with the proper technique.
bob

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. But it happens to most sooner or later. But as 5ross said when you PUT the side stand down press the reverse button and this will keep your wing from moving, and also do this when leaving your wing unattented, and parking overnight in your garage. :oops:

·
Registered
174 Posts
KC said:
He ran over to help me get it uprighted. I thanked him/quote]

I am heartened by all the others here. I have just taken delivery of the 2001 and wife and I were out on a dirt road near here looking at some acreage. I tried a 3-point turn in the middle of the road with wife on the back and over it went, very gracefully onto the bars with my wife still firmly planted in the back seat.

I got her off and having hauled a big bike to it's feet before had no problem righting it but made a mental note that in future to take ALL of the available room for a turn and not just as much as I THINK I need.

Having now read of many others with the similar issue, I don't feel so dumb. Probably still am, just don't feel it so much. :)

FTW

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dropped the Wing Today

In 1984 I bought a brand new V65 Magna. The second day of ownership, I was pulled over for going 30 in a 20 on a neighborhood sidestreet by the Crestwood Mo. police.
I pulled over to the curb, put the sidestand down & was asked to sit in the police car while he wrote the ticket.
The V65's had a rubber extender on the end of the kickstand. This was there to pop up the kickstand if you forgot to put it up. It also prevented the kickstand from going all the way to full down position if you were not careful.
My heart sank as I watched the bike roll forward & crash down on its side.
The cop felt sorry for me & only gave me a warning. The damage was $550.
Not a good day.

Mike Byerly

·
Registered
368 Posts
Big Red. said:
But as 5ross said when you PUT the side stand down press the reverse button and this will keep your wing from moving,
On a 1500 this would eventually stretch the cable to the reverse. Why take a chance? Just put your Wing in first gear and put the side stand down. That kills the ignition and keeps the Wing from rolling.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the only thing I'm going to say to this is:

I'm getting good at picking the bike up :22yikes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts