GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REF 05 GL1800 w/premium audio (CB installed by previous owner), I have ridden about 4000 miles in 3 1/2 mos and no problems until now.

Yesterday I while on a ride I slowed to almost a complete stop and while easing the bike off the left side of the road onto an area of gravel that slanted down to the left, I allowed my handlebars to be turned toooooo far to the left . Yep, you guessed it, I was off balance enough that I could not hold it up and had to lay it down on the left side, slanted slightly down hill. I was able to right the bike, start it, and finish the ride home of about 100+ miles. The last hour and 15 minutes were in the dark on an interstate sandwiched between the two guys with whom I was riding because of not having any running lights. Please note that emotions will not be described here. :oops: :x :x :x

Fortunately there does not appear to be any external damage, How-some-ever, I now have an electrical problem. Following is what I have determined thus far. Things not working:

rear running lights, saddlebag & trunk lights, spoiler lights, speedometer, trip odometers (although I can reset to zero), tach, fuel guage, temp guage, running lights on the front of the front turn signal housing, dash OD indicator, cruise control engaged green light (although the "Cruise Control On" light is working), sidestand indicator light, all dash indicator lights that illuminate when the switch is turned to the on position. [that is all I have noticed thus far]

I tried to check all other electrical functions including headlights, turn signals, brake lights, neutral indicator, radio, weather, etc, and they "appear" to be OK. I have NOT yet checked fuses to determine if one or more may be blown.

Thought I would post here hoping someone might have a quick fix, like resetting something. I also have a Service Manual but have not had time to begin looking through it (not that I would be able to understand what I am looking for anyway).

I hope to avoid the expense of having the local dealership service dept work on the problem. Anyone have suggestions??? HELLLLLLLPPPP!

Thanks. :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lewis and TD2K, thanks for your suggestions. As soon as I can come up for air from being overwhelmed with last minute preparation for Christmas, I will make the checks you suggested. Will plan to let you know if they remedy the problems. I appreciate you taking time to reply. :D

Todd

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Lewis and Techdude, I found the problem today. Thankfully it was only a blown fuse, actually the first one I pulled. I replaced the fuse and everything seems to be A-OK. Went for a 33 mile ride and all is well.

Thank you both again for your helpful suggestions. I appreciate it. Hope you had a great Christmas. Best wishes for a Happy New Year. :D

Todd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts